Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georgia 1099-G - Payer's Federal TIN Number - Georgia Tax Refund Information

gammoncs
Level 3

The 1099-G form for a Federal tax return of a state of Georgia resident seems to require two pieces of information.  The STATE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER and the PAYER'S (Georgia) FEDERAL TIN NUMBER.  For states other than GA, these two pieces of information are not required to file a federal tax return.  For a Federal tax return for a Georgia resident, Intuit ProSeries Basic requires (error is received) that the PAYER's FEDERAL TIN NUMBER be entered. This question about where to find this number and why is it required has been floating around for some time without the solution actually being supplied.  I understand that the GA EIN (State Identification Number) is 58-6002015 but the error is occurring on the PAYER's FEDERAL TIN NUMBER field.  This seems to be something unique for GA residents.

So here are the questions again.  Where can I find the GEORGIA FEDERAL TIN NUMBER to be entered on the Federal 1099-G Electronic Filing Worksheet OR Why does Intuit ProSeries Basic require this field for Georgia returns but not for other states?

Your help is appreciated.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

The 58- number is the federal EIN. That should be all you need. 

You may want to bookmark this for future reference https://www.atxcommunity.com/topic/14415-please-provide-your-states-ein-and-address-that-would-be-sh...

I think some other users have indicated all 9s will work. It would be nice if PS would just get rid of this, as it really is only necessary if there is withholding. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and be sure the number is input there as well as at the top of the page...sometimes there seems to be some kind of disconnect on this 1099G page between the top and the bottom of the form.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
gammoncs
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  Here is the confusing part.  Intuit ProSeries Basic 2022 software is labeling this field as PAYER'S TIN as opposed to EIN.  The formatting of these two number is different as well as one (TIN) is a federal ID number and EIN is a state ID number.  Once I ignored the label on the 1099-G worksheet and put the GA EIN number in the "TIN" field, my issue was resolved.  I agree that these fields should be dropped all together but if they are going to stay, the label on the Intuit forms need to be correct.

Thank you again for your help.

ashleygabbz3155
Level 1

Start at the beginning of the form and the first option to enter the 'Payer TIN" is under the checkbox for "if this is corrected', once you enter that number into proseries in that field (an error will most likely pop up saying the zipcode and/or address needs to be entered)  - it will flow down automatically and be entered into to that second Payer's Identification Number for you, and below that is where it is looking for the address information; once the complete address is entered, any errors should clear out. 

*Right clicking on the field - 'Cross Reference' is your best friend in ProSeries!

0 Cheers