Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From schedule e rental to grantor trust rental

tiellamo
Level 2

We have been filing our two rental properties on our personal return. We have transferred our rentals to a grantor trust. Do we now have to “dispose” of each depreciable item and close out the schedule E? When I tried that I created a huge loss.

I know that I need a K1 for reporting income and expenses but how do I calculate depreciation for the K1?

Thank you 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I would start with asking the attorney who created the trust's to find out if they are trusts which need to file their own return.

A lot of grantor trusts (think living trust) are in my experience transparent for income tax purposes.

tiellamo
Level 2

Thank you, I have asked the attorney and he said a 1041 will not need to be filed as the reporting will go from a k1 to our personal return. Grantor trusts from what I have learned are reported this way.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the trust will file a tax return, on the 1040 you stop depreciating them as of the date of transfer.

This is not a gain or loss situation.

If the trust is disregarded for income tax purposes you leave everything the way it is.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If "a 1041 will not need to be filed " there will not be a K-1.

Ex-AllStar
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

So you ignore the trust for income tax purposes and file the 1040 just like you have been doing.