Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 990 E-file Error message when using XNP or XSP as preparer codes!

JaUrbanski
Level 3

I am preparing a Form 990 as a board member of the non-profit and cannot use the XSP or XNP codes as preparer.  Proseries gives an efile error message indicating there is no ERO PIN in the preparer database.  You cannot enter XSP or XNP in the preparer database as those codes are "reserved".  I have entered an ERO PIN in the EF worksheet where it asks for that PIN when using XNP OR XSP.  STILL AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT DOES NOT GO AWAY!!

The deadline for filing is Monday May15th and this is a major problem.

While the error goes away if I enter my ID as a paid preparer, that is not how this return should be filed, I am not paid.

I called and spoke to support yesterday and they were unable to provide solution

PLEASE FIX THSI PROBLEM ASAP!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitGabi

@JaUrbanski @jldismukes 
A  fix was released yesterday on this. Please try again and confirm if you were able to e-file. Thanks for your patience. 

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on your other posts, you appear to be a professional tax preparer.  The IRS isn’t doing some hair brain calculation to see if your revenue agrees with the number of returns you prepare.  Instead of wasting your time trying to fight the software, personally, I would just let it show me as a paid preparer and move on with life.

Slava Ukraini!
JaUrbanski
Level 3

I hear you and can understand your idea.  I am likely going to do that and file an extension using my professional ID and see if Intuit can figure it out before we file the final return.  The non-profit board is reluctant to have the return filed showing a paid preparer when that is not the case.

Hopefully someone will attend to this soon, I already alerted them yesterday

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Even if Intuit decided to change something, I guarantee you that it isn’t going to happen before the due date.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you uncheck the box for error checking, will it Efile?

errorcheck.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MayBelle
Level 1

I am having the same problem.  Has anyone found a solution?

JaUrbanski
Level 3

No, I tried with the Intuit rep online and it would not convert the file, gave same error message

0 Cheers
JaUrbanski
Level 3

No solution, no response from Intuit.

Error persists this morning!

0 Cheers
JaUrbanski
Level 3

Hello Intuit!!!

Is there anyone monitoring these chats?!?  The software will not allow filing of a Form 990 return using preparer codes XSP or XNP.  There is no workaround if you want to use these codes to file an accurate return.  

PLEASE MAKE THE SOFTWARE ADJUSTMENT TO FIX THIS ERROR!!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@JaUrbanski 

This isn't "chat".

This is a forum of fellow software users.  Occasionally an Intuit employee/moderator stops by to 'occasionally' help.   Intuit does promote this forum as THE place to go for help, but we have no power to change the program.

WE can't fix anything, so yelling at us does no good.

You have to call support to have someone to yell at.

@IRonMaN gave you a workaround.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
JaUrbanski
Level 3

Thank you.  I was told previously by intuit rep they do watch these forums, thought that was continuing.

The workaround works but it is not correct to say you are a paid preparer when you are not.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Hi @JaUrbanskiAt the moment Form 990 is not listed in this article: 
Marking a return as "Non-Paid Preparer" or "Self-Prepared" in ProSeries however, we're researching this and working on duplicating the issue. The option for today would be to to print and mail to file. 

0 Cheers
JaUrbanski
Level 3

Problem with that is IRS requires Form 990 to be filed electronically.

2022 Form 990 Instructions top of page 6.

IntuitGabi

Yes, good call. Thank you for this information, I'll pass it along to my colleagues and update this thread as I get more details. 

jldismukes
Level 1

I have the same issue. cannot file extension as non paid preparer. when I go to put in XNP in paid preparer info it says it is reserved. So cannot seem to file 990 extension as XNP. this worked last year. Can it be fixed. 

0 Cheers
JaUrbanski
Level 3

I used my paid preparer code to file the extension since that is only an extension.

I'm hoping it's fixed soon to file actual return

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

@JaUrbanski @jldismukes 
A  fix was released yesterday on this. Please try again and confirm if you were able to e-file. Thanks for your patience. 

JaUrbanski
Level 3

The software fix appears to have worked.  Was able to submit filing using code XSP.

Thank you.