Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8812 for taxpayer who was MFJ in TY2020, but is now single and received the ACTC

Mars1
Level 3

T/P was married in 2020 but divorced in Dec 2021.  Ex has custody of kids.  He doesn't know about getting the credit, but will find out.  How will CTC affect him since he has no dependent children to claim now, only himself?  Does he still report the amount received (assuming there was some) on his 8812, even though he cannot claim the kids?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
LJHCPA
Level 4

My opinion (and I may be wrong) is the credit goes where the kids are. If the ex-wife is claiming them she should report the total amount received from both Letters 6419 on her return. He would report nothing as he has no children on this year's return. My two cents

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

They were supposed to log into their account to provide and update their status, so that the payments follow their status.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
rbynaker
Level 13

What he received goes on his Schedule 8812.  He may have to repay it or he may be covered under repayment protection if his AGI is low enough.