Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

form 8283

djtenn2000
Level 3

After updating Pro-Series Professional, has anyone noticed that form 8283 (non cash charitable) will not update until 2/07/23 ? This directly tied into Schedule A and is included on over 95% of my returns.  As of today, I can't submit anything and frustrated as heck that Intuit has done this for the second year in a row.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

It might be related to an unfinished IRS draft:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8283--dft.pdf

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

i have the same issue.. not ready yet

rbynaker
Level 13

It might be related to an unfinished IRS draft:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8283--dft.pdf

Dusty2
Level 7

Just trying to understand.  95% of your clients itemize and contribute more than $500 worth of non cash items?

we have less than 20 since the law change for the standard deduction.

Dusty

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, I'm having a hard time biting on that one.

Slava Ukraini!
djtenn2000
Level 3

I was looking for that myself and didn't see it.  Last year it turned out to be an Intuit error and not an actual IRS delay that I was able to bypass.  Thanks for sharing.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If 95% of my clients wanted to claim their used underwear has a value of $5 each, I would suggest a lower amount, one that would get them below $500 for the year.  But no doubt your clients are different from my clients.  

djtenn2000
Level 3

I teach ALL my clients the importance of non-cash donations and carryovers.  So they all have them to submit on Schedule A to help exceed standard deduction limitations. I've got 86 early filers to submit this morning.  Only 4 could be submitted bc they didn't need schedule A deductions at all.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

And you're in a state with no income tax, where housing costs are comparatively low and so mortgage interest is also below average?  90% of my clients don't itemize, but that's because most of them are old enough to have paid off their mortgages. Is the 8283 putting them over the standard deduction by a couple thousand, so it's not worth IRS time to audit for an adjustment of less than $500?  

You do know, I hope, that IRS can do a preparer project and pull a list of preparers with too many clients filing one type of deduction too often.  

djtenn2000
Level 3

I'm in state with income tax. I'm not sure what you mean at the end of your reply.  The tax rules are defined for contributions. If clients meet the requirement, it's included.  After 15-plus years with no issue, I'd assume nothing is wrong. (if you educated clients how to save money, i'm sure they'll listen lol)

0 Cheers
djtenn2000
Level 3

If it turns out that my peers are not having this problem using other software, Proseries may be out next year for me.  Too many fee increases and diminishing product quality will wear out what was once a top-notch product and brand.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If you're not in Tennessee, you must be a tennis player.  My idea of client education is to explain that just because Bill Clinton deducted $5 (equivalent in 2024 dollars) for his used underwear, it doesn't mean they should.  But I did have one client who was a clothes horse, much to the chagrin of her husband. Buy a new outfit for $100, wear it once and want to claim a $75 deduction.  Once or twice a week.  It put them over standard deduction by enough to save enough in taxes to cover a month's worth of clothes shopping. I figured it was safe as long as I didn't do it on too many returns.