Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 2848

LaWandab
Level 2

I have to get POA's for a married couple in order to obtain Wage and Income information.  The taxpayer passed away in October.  His nephew and niece have been appointed executor's of his estate.  As far as I can determine, his wife will be his personal representative.  Who should sign his Form 2848?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
BobKamman
Level 15

Generally "executor" is synonymous with "personal representative," it's just a matter of what term is used by state law.  Those with versions of the Uniform Probate Code prefer PR.  What's going on here?  Has a Form 56 been filed for the estate yet?

sjrcpa
Level 15

His Personal Representative/Executor should sign his 2848. As Bob noted, these are the same.

Ex-AllStar
LaWandab
Level 2

Thank you all for your input.  I found out that his wife had signed over the executorship to the nephew.  He will sign the 2848 and attach a Letter Testamentary to the 2848.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Remember the widow is not required to file a joint return and should avoid inheriting a tax debt.  

LaWandab
Level 2

Not to sound uninformed, but can you explain this further?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

There is no POA for someone not alive. They're dead, so they cannot sign POA; and it does not carry over after death, if one already existed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

But the estate can grant a POA. That's what's needed to get wage and income information and account transcripts for a deceased individual.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Form 2848 is a red herring.  Check the instructions to Form 4506-T.  I have helped a fiduciary do this and it worked, but I made sure the Form 56 had also been filed. 

Documentation. For entities other than individuals, you
must attach the authorization document. For example, this
could be the letter from the principal officer authorizing an
employee of the corporation or the letters testamentary
authorizing an individual to act for an estate.

BobKamman
Level 15

If the widow doesn't know how much income her husband had, it's not a good sign that she wants to rely on what IRS knows because that might not be complete.  I have seen too many cases of malpractice where the knee-jerk reaction is to file a joint return, even with a balance due.  Figure the tax separately, and if the decedent owes taxes that have to be paid from the estate, figure out how much the widow would lose.  In many cases she has priority even over tax claims.