Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1099 PATR from Agri-Mark, DPAD not flowing correctly to Form 8995 A

buelfarm
Level 3

With 2 days to spare before March 1 deadline, I cannot figure out this issue!  I've correctly entered the Section 199A deduction from Form 1099-PATR, Box 6, into the Sch F "DPAD from Form 1099-PATR" smart worksheet above Part 1 on Sch F.   The program (ProSeries Professional) is transferring the info to Form 8995, rather than Form 8995-A.  If you read the NOTE @ the top of Form 8995, it specifically says to use the Form if you "AREN'T a patron of an agricultural cooperative ..."   These folks are dairy farmers & on last year's program, the QBI dollars $ were correctly transferred to Form 8995-A!  I have looked everywhere for some little check-box I may have missed?!  I have called Technical Support and been told that I need to look some more ?!  I've tried right-clicking every place I can think of to try to track down a Cross-Reference for getting me over to Form 8995-A and I'm ready to just give up!  Can anyone help? 

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

My Line 6 of 1099-PATR flows directly over to line 38 of 8995A(1) as it should.  I am not sure why you can't get yours to flow.  So I am with support, there is no reason why yours should not flow there.

buelfarm
Level 3

That is strange, especially since I had no trouble with this on last year's return, under exact same scenario.  The support tech suggested I Update Forms & there were no updates needed when we tried that through Smart Look.  Did you enter the amount from Box 6 of the 1099-PATR on Sch F in the "DPAD from 1099-PATR" smart worksheet box - mine is Before Jan 1, 2018 -?  I tried checking the QBI Component Worksheet for the Activity (Dairy Farm) and looked for a Cross Reference - it simply stops @ Line 1 and does not complete the rest of the Worksheet (Note says, If Using Simplified Method, Stop Here)  - Likewise, the QBI Summary is no help!  When I compare to last year's Forms, there was a Sch D for the 8995-A for Ag Co-Ops...it looks as though all the entries there are calculated, not input.  Where in the world is that Ag Co-Ops info coming from, or in this case, NOT coming from?  It's making me crazy! 

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I always enter after so maybe that is your holdup

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

Sorry, not sure what that means?  Thanks for your time ==> I JUST figured out the problem!! Agri-Mark paid NO Patronage Dividends in 2022;  in other words, there is a $0. in Box 1 of the Form 1099-PATR.   That means that the QBI worksheet @ the bottom of Sch F - Line K-1 "Net Income allocable to qualified payments from agricultural coop" has NO ENTRY ==> the program is simply reacting to that issue!! 

Now I have to figure out how to force Form 8995-A when there are $0 of Patronage Dividends from Cooperatives? That's a real problem!  Is there a work-around for this anywhere?! 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Try putting in $1 instead of 0

The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@buelfarm  On the 2022 Form 1099-PATR there is nothing entered into box 1, and there is an amount entered into box 6, correct?  Are there any amounts entered into boxes 3?  7? or 8? 

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

Yep ==> that's exactly what I did late last night & it all flowed correctly !   Thanks 🙂  Told client they should inform Agri Mark, b/c many preparers may not go to the extent I did to dig deep into the worksheets to find the problem with $ 0. in Box 1 of the Form 1099-PATR ...

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

The only entries for this year's Form 1099 PATR were in Boxes 3 (for Per Unit Retain Allocations) and Box 6, their portion of DPAD ==> fortunately, I just decided last night to use a work-around by putting $1. in Box 1 and then everything flowed correctly to the Form 8995-A.   Crazy situation, for sure.  

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@buelfarm   So, you entered the $1 on Schedule F, line 3a and 3b to get it to compute correctly?  Or somewhere else?

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

You must also put it on the Sch F way down @ the bottom of the page, there is a worksheet for Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet - you must put the $1 on Line K-1 (in other words, it must "match" whatever you put on Lines 3a & 3b above) and then it will work!

0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@buelfarm Are you using ProSeries sofware?

You are referring to the "Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet", line K1?

The QBID Smart Worksheet, Line K1 is an amount that needs to be manually computed [% of Schedule F, line 34 attributed to Coop Patronage], right?  I believe that QBIDSW, Line K1 could be either a positive amount, a negative amount, or zero.

So, you have found that if a zero amount is entered onto Line K1 the amount entered onto Schedule F "Domestic Production Activity Deduction from Form 1099-PATR", line 2: "DPAD (line 6) from cooperative(s) with tax year beginning after Dec. 31, 2017" does not flow to Form 8995A?

0 Cheers