Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1095A

rcooley25
Level 11

I have a client who had insurance purchased on the exchange for Jan. 1, 2022 thru Oct 32, 2022.

She was single during this time.

In December of 2022 she got married.

She is filing a joint return with her Husband and because of his income it is coming out that she has to pay all of tis premium credit back.

Is there something else I should do or another form to file or is this couple simply (bleeped)

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

They're generally bleeped.  There is an "alternate calculation in the year of marriage" but in my experience it rarely makes a difference.  Often the best you can do is file MFS to try to limit the repayment (but that generally has undesirable side effects.)

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

See if filing separately would help.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

I tried that and as in most cases when you use married filing separately it does not work out. 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

on the 8962 part two is where you put date of marriage to recalculate the PTC 

rbynaker
Level 13

They're generally bleeped.  There is an "alternate calculation in the year of marriage" but in my experience it rarely makes a difference.  Often the best you can do is file MFS to try to limit the repayment (but that generally has undesirable side effects.)

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rcooley25 wrote:

who had insurance purchased on the exchange for Jan. 1, 2022 thru Oct 32, 2022.

it is coming out that she has to pay all of tis premium credit back.

Unfortunately, that is what happens when a person has health insurance for 32 days in October.  🤣

Just kidding.

Have you filled out the 'alternative' information?  As Rick says, it often won't reduce the repayment, but it sometimes can.

If the repayment is large, you may also consider testing out if MFS works better.  The MFS return may limit the repayment.  Whether or not the overall result is better will vary though.

Another thing to check is how close is their income (or 50% of their Joint income if the alternative calculation applies) to a repayment limitation?  If it is close, contributing to a deductible Traditional IRA to get below the poverty percentage threshold may limit the repayment.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8962#en_US_2022_publink100010959

rcooley25
Level 11

The married filing separate has been suggested by manyu of my fellow preparers but as said before it does not work. I tried it but no go,

Over the 54 years that I have been preparing tax returns the only time I have seen it beneficial to files married separately does not have to do with income taxes but has to do with student loan debt. By filing separately they pay more money in incomes taxes but it is a drop in the bucket to what they would have to pay toward the student loan if both husband and wife income become involved.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Not to rain on your parade, but I did a return for the same health insurance situation a couple of weeks ago and the tax savings were well worth the extra work filing MFS.  I also put the MFS to work a couple of years back with the unemployment exclusion fiasco.  So it does have its moments.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I am sre it does have its moments but the one I am envolved with right now is not one of them.

Dont worry about raining on my parade. If I get wet and the chills I will warm up by drinking more fireball.