Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1041 error message when attaching pdf

DebiHCPA
Level 4

I am getting an error message when attaching a pdf in Form 1041 under "other". The message is "this submission contains a form or schedule which MEF is not accepting as a binary attachment".

This is a grantor trust and I wanted to attach the 1099. Has anyone run into this error? I guess I can just delete it but I have never had any issue with attaching 1099's before.

6 Comments 6
Amy Greenblatt
Level 2

I'm getting this error too, for a non-grantor / regular trust and the error goes away when I remove the Sch D Form 8949 stock trades PDF attachment.  However we need to include this so I don't know what to do.  We filed other trust returns with Sch D details attached without a problem, so I'm  not even sure if that's it except error goes away if removed.

0 Cheers
DebiHCPA
Level 4

There is a problem with the software. 

Do not use the word "form" or "schedule" in the description.

Remove the attachment. Save the program. Then go back in and just put "1099". 

Susan19
Level 1

I used the Exception Smart Worksheet for Form 8949, just put ST and LT did not attach brokerage statement still have error will not efile. Any advice?

0 Cheers
DebiHCPA
Level 4

Did you get out of the return and then come back in? Why not just use Schedule D and put ST Covered Sales  in the description and then attach the sales  by just saying "ST Covered Sales" - don't use the smart worksheet - delete it.

You won't like the next option by at this point I would extend the return and just deal with it after April 15th.

0 Cheers
Amy Greenblatt
Level 2

Debi H CPA,

Removing it, getting out, back in, and reattaching using a different description worked, thank you! I named it "8949" and it was fine.

0 Cheers
Susan19
Level 1

There was an attachment that I didn't attach. When I deleted it, I was able to efine.

0 Cheers