Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forks Township PA local Tax

rpmtaxesny
Level 2

Most of the taxes I prepare are NYS residents.  Not familiar with PA taxes, but I do know there are local taxes to be prepared as well.  I'm preparing for a friend.  If anyone can help me with the Forks Township PA local tax form, it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

to find eit (wage tax) information, psd codes, etc. go to: WWW.MUNSTATS.PA.GOV you enter in home address and work address. Most local wage tax collectors in Pa accept the generic Intuit wage tax form, but not all I believe. Hope this helps.

rpmtaxesny
Level 2

thank you!  that was very helpful.  one more question, hopefully you can help.  I was able to get the eit and the psd code. It also shows a LST of $52.  Does he have mail that payment separately? Or can I add it to the generic wage form?

PATAX
Level 15

First, the local service tax or LST applies to employees and self-employed people. If your client was an employee, then his employer should have already taken out the LST from his pay. If that is the case then there is no form to file, as the employer files the LST form and pays the LST tax that was deducted from the employees pay . If your client is self-employed, then he may have to pay the LST tax himself on a separate LST return, to the township where his place of business is at, but I am not sure of this, since I am not sure of the LST rules for self-employed people in all the different townships of Pennsylvania. I don't believe you can add LST to the wage tax return as I have never heard of this before. All of the aforementioned is as far as I know, but you should research this yourself as aforementioned is my opinion only.

rpmtaxesny
Level 2

Gotcha, does make sense.  On box 14 of his w2 does have an amount of $10 with "PA LST" code.

Thanks again for your input.  It was very helpful.  Much appreciated!

PATAX
Level 15

Some places in Pennsylvania the LST tax is only $10 a year. Other places or townships it is $52 a year. Also I have seen many many W-2s that don't even list the LST tax that was withheld, and I don't think the employer is required to list the LST tax withheld on the W-2.

rpmtaxesny
Level 2

PA-40 is nice and simple, PA local is a headache!  Especially since he lives in PA and works in NY.  Calculating these credits is confusing. I thought NYS was a pain.  I guess since I'm new to PA, its harder.  Just like anything else, If I do more of them, it will get easier.... I HOPE!