Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Earned Income creating NOL

mrscpa
Level 2

My client's foreign earned income is generating an AMT NOL Carryover. I don't recall these two being related, my client is not self employed. Any assistance is appreciated. The only other post I saw with information on this wasn't very clear. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

Foreign earned income exclusion can never be more than the taxpayer's wages.  The exclusion, therefore, cannot create an NOL.  What are the numbers that are showing on the prior year return?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client had foreign source income in other baskets and/or US-source income, however, it's possible that your client may have SLL/OFL/ODL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
mrscpa
Level 2

on the 1040 worksheet in 2019, line 9, it is subtracting the standard deduction from the AGI which is already a negative amount for the difference between foreign wages and earned income in US. transferring this amount to the NOL worksheet and creating a NOL carryover. I've called proseries on this 3x and no luck. any help is appreciated.

0 Cheers