Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For 1040NR only the Qualified Business Income Componet wkst table and line 1 on the 1040NR package isn't correct.

TaxService USA
Level 2

On the 1040NR package Qualified Business Income Componet wkst isn't correct. The QBI from Schedule C Profit calculation should be reduced by the deductible part of the self-employment tax from the Schedule 1 Part II line 15.    

Please copy the formula from the 1040 package Qualified Business Income Componet wkst table and line 1 to the 1040NR package, thanks.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Is this a dual-status nonresident return?  If so, did your client derive the SE-income during the resident period?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TaxService USA
Level 2

No it was just a 1040NR return and it came to a different result than when prepared in the standard 1040 package using the same details.   

The only difference was that Qualified Business Income Component wkst table and line 1 on the 1040NR package isn't correct. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Any reason why your NRA client is subject to SE-tax?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
TaxService USA
Level 2

Because they were a self-employed nonresident alien living in the United States not in any exemption period.   So as far as I know they must pay SE tax because they were subject to an international social security agreement which determines that that they're covered under the U.S. social security system. 

I appreciate the comments & questions but I have a note to post this on the ProSeries Tax Idea Exchange instead of here (whenever the 1040NR is released) because I really just want them to correct the calculation on the Qualified Business Income Component wkst table and line 1 on the 1040NR package in case if it ever comes up again.   

And they didn't fix it when I called them last year about it.   I don't like when I have to eFile returns bypassing error conversions and also prefer that my clients not get letters from the IRS. 

itonewbie
Level 15

Fair enough.  Intuit is often not inclined to commit resources to correct technical errors in its tax logics, even when proven wrong, especially when those affect only a relatively small percentage of its users.

Have spent too much time over the years going in circles on various high impact international items but little has changed.  Hope you have better luck - although I wouldn't hold my breath on PS, which is historically more domestic in focus than Lacetre/ProConnect Tax.

Still an AllStar