Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow through gains to K-1

Kobebean
Level 3

Hello,

I am doing a 1041 Simple Trust return that has capital gains from stock sales. This is a first and final return to close out an estate. Do capital gains from stock sales flow to the K-1 or are they responsible only to the Trust return itself. I am familiar with Trusts and K-1's in the past but they always had interest and dividend income.  I can't get gains to the K-1 for the two beneficiaries listed on the return. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. I listed two beneficiaries and each has 50% responsibility. That's the only income for the return. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Rich

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
scroll down down down the Sch D and theres a place to allocate cap gains/losses to bene's if marking it final doesnt do it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

FYI - on a final return everything flows out on the K-1s.

Otherwise, capital gains are generally corpus, stay in the trust, and the trust pays tax on them.

Ex-AllStar
Kobebean
Level 3

yeah thanks. I saw that and changed it to beneficiaries earlier but it still showed tax due on the Trust. Check marking final return didn't change anything until I used override in the Trust accounting section and eliminating Trust portion to zero percentage. Now all good. 

0 Cheers
DTNY07
Level 7

Thanks for the information on this