Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing an efiled return and resending it to the IRS

JDVtaxes
Level 3

I e-filed a client return, and the client's birth date was incorrect.

Can Intuit edit the birth date and resend the return to the IRS?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Nope.  Unless it rejects, you cant get it back. 

DOB really only matters if it affects one of the credits on the return.  If that's the situation then an amended return would need to be filed.  Otherwise, just correct it moving forward.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
JDVtaxes
Level 3

The DOB on an efiled return can trigger an identity issue with the IRS.

I had a typo for this client in my file, and it triggered a 5071C notice.

After going online and completing all of the hurdles requested as per the notice, the clients were told to call the IRS - and you can guess how that is going.

Not even their local Taxpayer Advocate Offices are answering the phone…

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

You could try calling PPS with the client in your office.   Of course, PPS isn't always available.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
A paper filed return doesnt even show the DOB. It only matters for credits.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

How do you know the incorrect DOB triggered the 5071C ?     

Most of the ID letters my clients get are for returns of first time filers sent in after April 15th.

JDVtaxes
Level 3

Thanks very much for the attention to my inquiry, I really appreciate it.

It’s true that birth dates are not even included on paper returns.

When you file electronically, however, the Internal Revenue Service uses birth dates to help verify the Social Security Numbers on the return, even for dependents.

In my experience, returns with bad birth dates get rejected, and you have the opportunity to make corrections, and resend.

In this case, it didn’t get rejected, and I am just fishing around to see if I can get this resolved somehow.

0 Cheers
JDVtaxes
Level 3

Thanks for your response here…

The birthdate is the only identifying information that was not correct on the return.

It happened to 2 of my clients - my errors completely. And neither of these clients is a new client, and both were efiled.

The first client went online, completed the required steps, and their refund was direct deposited.

The second client still has not received their refund.

Thanks again…

0 Cheers