Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiscal Year Confusion

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I rarely work with Fiscal Years or "short" years, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this fairly simple question (or maybe it is the fact I've already had a couple of drinks today  😋 )

Entity (trust) has Fiscal Year of Feb 1st, 2020 through January 31st, 2021.  The K-1 goes on the 2021 personal tax return, right?

But what about next year when the Trust files a final and "short" year?  So let's say the year would be February 1st, 2021 and as a "short year" it ends June 30th, 2021.  That K-1 ALSO goes on the 2021 personal tax return, right?  So the 2021 tax return would show BOTH K-1s?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PATAX
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill I am not sure about that Bill..... I have an entity it is not a trust but the fiscal year end is May 31st 2021 and they file a 2020 return... Another entity also is not a trust but the fiscal year end is June 30th 2021 and it also files a 2020 return for that fiscal year... But I'm not sure about trusts...

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Trusts aren't supposed to have fiscal year ends, but let's leave that.

Yes, you will have 2 k1s ending in 2021. Both go on the 2021 F1040.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
PATAX
Level 15

I thought I had read before that they were not supposed to have fiscal year ends... Thanks for the information accountant man....

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Thank you!

I didn't know about the non-fiscal Trusts.  Thanks for that information.

arandersen
Level 3

Trusts cannot have fiscal years, but there is a twist.  Estates CAN have fiscal years and if a client has a living trust and then dies, that trust can elect to be included in the estate's income tax return, so in that case, the trust, as part of the estate, can have a fiscal year, but only because it is part of an estate.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Ah, got it.  This is living-trust then died situation, and I was trying to figure out if that election should be done or not (the Estate doesn't have any income).

0 Cheers