Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firm, Preparer & ERO Information Disappeared in ProSeries Professional on a Network

NoreenC
Level 1

Hello,

We are wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or is currently having a problem.  On Friday, March 8, 2024, we lost our firm, preparer & ERO information in ProSeries Professional.  We are on a peer to peer network.  We just lost the information, Friday morning.  No changes in equipment, network or how we have been operating since January.  The information is gone on every computer & we get errors.  Not able to print or E-file without this information. 

We spent over 4 hours with support on Friday trying to resolve this issue.  We did all kinds of things such as uninstalling the program, reinstalling the program, etc.  The issue wasn't resolved & we were supposed to be getting a escalated supervisor call-back.  We ended up calling back Friday evening and spoke to another representative.  On this call, we realized that the call-back is 24 to 48 hours and doesn't usually happen on a weekend. 

We worked some more with this representative.  They reviewed everything that had been done and asked if we had renamed any files earlier.  We said that had not happened.  This representative had us rename some files and we got our information back.

We were able to work over the weekend with no issues.  We were working fine until Monday evening March 11, 2024, when we lost all of our firm, preparer & ERO information again.  We had just checked our E-File acknowledgements and were going into a file that had been accepted, when we got the error messages again.  We called support Monday evening/night and spoke to another support representative.  We explained what was going on, previously done & previously fixed.  Not able to resolve Monday night.

On Tuesday morning, March 12, 2024, we called at 9 AM EST to hopefully resolve the issue.  The support listened, reviewed what was done previously, got back-up support, etc.  We renamed the files and got our information back.  Everyone else had shut their computers down and were not working on anything at this time.  Went into a file that had been electronically accepted and got all the error messages again & the firm information was gone again.  It was the admin computer with the full install of the program.  We share the client files on network drive.  All the other computers are workstations.  We have been operating as a peer to peer network this way for over 15 years with ProSeries.  Never had this issue.

Called customer support again.  Tried renaming the files, didn't work.  Said need to stop real-time virus scan of ProSeries and not block some files with Firewall.  They sent documents with the information, folders & files, not to be scanned/blocked.  Went into Norton 360 and stopped real-time scanning of ProSeries and allowed the executables through Firewall. 

Finally got our escalated supervisor call-back from Friday, late this afternoon.  ProSeries' opinion is that this is not a ProSeries issue.  According to ProSeries, they have done all that they can & there is nothing that they can do to resolve this issue on their side.  They are saying it is an environmental issue, that is that is an issue with our network environment. 

As previously stated, we have made no changes to our network, as we do not make changes during tax season.  We do have a cloud backup and a NAS backup, but as I told ProSeries support everyone has backups, we need to backup our data. 

Their only suggestion was to do a standalone install and see if the information doesn't disappear.  I am installing the program as a standalone on an old laptop.  However, working on a standalone computer backing up and restoring client files is not a sustainable option.  We may have to operate this way for a day or two to print anything, but it is not a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Insights from having this issue too?

Anyone else currently having this issue?

If more people were having this problem, Intuit would consider it their issue & investigate it. 

Anyone having recent network issues?  With no changes on their end?

Sorry, the post is long, but I just wanted to include all the facts.  Trying not to leave anything out that might pertain to the problem.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are really busy, as we are sure everyone is, just bypass our post, we understand if you have nothing to offer or no time to look at this. 

Thanks for listening and any insight or suggestions!

Thanks for your help. 

Noreen

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Intuit_Ramky
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Is this happening while doing any specific workflow? Is this still happening? 

Could you please send the logs by following below steps:

Go to => C:\ProWin23\32bit\logs\ zip entire folder to a file and send it to ProSeries_Engineering@intuit.com by mentioning subject with your username "NoreenC"

0 Cheers
nmc
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for responding.  I managed to fix the issue late last night by renaming the shrfrmYY files to old in the common folder in ProwinYY for 2021, 2022 & 2023.  Then opening 2021, 2022 & 2023.  The firm information stuck in 2023 and have been working fine all day today.

I have not accessed the recent efiled clients yet, or efiled anything today, because I am afraid that may be causing the issues.  Eventually I will have to do this.

If we lose the firm information again, I will let you know what we were doing and send you the indicated log.

Thanks,

Noreen

0 Cheers
nmc
Level 2

Sorry, I reread your message and sent the log.

I appreciate an help or insight.

Best,

Noreen

0 Cheers
nmc
Level 2

I sent the zipped log to the indicated email address.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
nmc
Level 2

ProNet folders, typo with ProWin.  We are on a network