Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Statu - HoH Child Living Overseas

Level 3

Morning - I have a parent who is a US Citizen and his daughter is also a US Citizen. Taxpayer is divorced. She lives in Brazil and was born in 2004.

He supports his daughter 100% and she lives with her grandma in Brazil. Can the tax payer claim HoH?

Thanks - Sharpcougar.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Level 14

Nope.  Well, probably not. 

Except for the parents of the taxpayer, the dependent needs to live with the taxpayer.  The exception is if it is a "temporary absence", but the way you phrased things that does not sound like that applies.

Level 14

If the daughter does not live with the mother, father,  the mother father is not Head of Household.