Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing return after extension and before April 18th

nancy2
Level 5

I did an electronic extension for a federal return because I wanted to extend the state.  It's automatic.  I would like to go ahead and file the federal return now.  When the extension was filed it was marked for electronic fund withdrawal of the balance due on the due date.  If I go ahead and file the federal return now, is that going to cause any problems?  Like, the tax payment being withdrawn twice maybe?  Anyone know how that would work?

TIA

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

If you are having a payment w/drawn for the extension, that amount should show as a credit on the federal return thus lowering balance due. So shouldn't cause a double withdrawal.  However, since the extension payment is coming out on 18th, I would wait until after the 18th to file the return just to prevent any confusion in the IRS computers.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
whats wrong with the state returns that they cant be filed as well?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
nancy2
Level 5

Thank you for the response but it's not important to the question.   But since you asked, the state has credits but there are issues with getting them for this year.  So the extension is with the hope that the credits will be available before the extended due date.  

Do you know the answer?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

If you are having a payment w/drawn for the extension, that amount should show as a credit on the federal return thus lowering balance due. So shouldn't cause a double withdrawal.  However, since the extension payment is coming out on 18th, I would wait until after the 18th to file the return just to prevent any confusion in the IRS computers.

nancy2
Level 5

Good point.  Thanks.