Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing A Superseded Return - 1120-S

troy
Level 3

I am looking to file a superceded return since it is now essentially a new feature.

What are the exact steps? I am using ProSeries Professional and superceding an 1120-S.

How can I confirm the superceded went through and successfully overrode the original?

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
rbynaker
Level 13

Did you file an extension?  Or was the original filed before 3/15?

0 Cheers
troy
Level 3

The original was filed on/before 03/15/2023.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

You can only replace (supersede) a return before its due date.  After that you amend.

troy
Level 3

Let me explain further - an extension was indeed filed, and the return was completed shortly after the extension, but before 03/15/2023.

So

Extension: Filed 03/09/2023

Return: 03/13/2023

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't have an answer for that.  I've seen debates but nothing conclusive.  Some believe that filing the return before the original due date nullifies the extension.  I avoid the issue by filing anything on extension after 3/15 (just in case).

Worth a try, see if it goes an a superseding return and let us know.  I have no idea what hoops you have to jump through in the software though.

troy
Level 3

What is the actual process to do it regardless? Where do you click in the software?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I googled:

proseries amended 1120s

and this is what I got:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/corporation/e-file-amended-corporation-retu...

A lot of help articles can be found by doing that.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
StephanieS
Level 2

We are trying to file a superseded 1120S as well (extended) and ours isn't working either.  When we called ProSeries support they told us that the IRS system isn't working properly and accepting the superseded returns right now. 

So maybe it's on the IRS side?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"We are trying to file a superseded 1120S as well (extended)"

How can you supersede something put on extension? Extension means "more time to file" and you cannot supersede something never filed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
StephanieS
Level 2

Our understanding was the superseded returns could be filed as long as it was filed prior to due date, and that extensions pushed the due date.  So we filed extensions on all of our business clients. 

superseding return is a return filed subsequent to the originally-filed return and filed within the filing period (including extensions). https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/amended-and-superseding-corporate-returns

Now we have a return that was extended 3/10 and then filed 3/14.  The client has given us an additional piece of information and we are trying to file a superseded return with the understanding that the extension gives us until 9/15 to file superseded.

This is new so perhaps we are misunderstanding but we can't get the return to go through.

0 Cheers