Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a separate state return as married filing separate

Al007
Level 3

I filed a married filing joint return for the Federal and NYS personal tax returns.  The taxpayer works in CT, and it is less costly for the taxpayer if I file married filing separate in CT, which is allowed by CT.  I filed the Federal and NYS with no issues.  I then created an additional file using "save as" and with a slightly different name.  When I tried to file the CT in the second file, I received a message that there were errors in the federal return in this new file, and I would not be able to file the CT.  Obviously, I am not filing the Federal return, only the CT return.  In the previous year, ProSeries walked me through this and I don't recall having to correct the Federal return in order to file the separate state return.  I also don't recall the procedure they used.  I spoke to tech support and this person had no idea, and said someone could call back within 24 hours but that would be too late.  I will probably just file a CT extension from the original file to resolve this today.  But I still will need to resolve this.

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
rcooley25
Level 11

Am I just stupid or are you not suppose to filed the state the sameway as you do the federl?

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Different rules for different states. I won't answer your question except to say maybe you need additional training 😁

0 Cheers
Al007
Level 3

Thank you for your reply. This situation is not very uncommon when you live near border states like NY, NJ, &CT. There is no specific way ProSeries has to accomplish it. Every year, we call ProSeries technical support, and each year, a technician solves it differently, even if the state is the same as the prior year. 

Al007
Level 3

To be polite, I won't answer your question. 

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

@rcooley25 There are many states where you file separate after filing jointly on federal.  Probably 90% of Iowans file separate on state after joint federal return.  Ohio has probably same %.  But i will not also answer your question.

rcooley25
Level 11

Thank you for your respone. Apparently Illinois where I am from is not one of those states.

Al007
Level 3

There are many instance where you are allowed to file a state differently than the Federal.  I am not familiar with the levels in the "community."  I see you are a Level 10.  What does that signify?

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Intuit “community levels” are promulgated by a top secret Intuit algorithm based on responses, acknowledgements, terms of service violations, and/or lunar cycles. Intuit likely makes no representations or accepts responsibility of implied perceived value attached to a specific community level.   

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
rcooley25
Level 11

That means that some people think I am smarter than what I really am.

BobKamman
Level 15

Give him a break.  At least he knows Wyoming doesn't have an income tax.  I think that's the difference between a Level 1 and a Level 10.  

PATAX
Level 15

I cannot recall ever seeing taxpayers filing married filing joint for federal and married filing separate for PA. So there is nothing wrong with what Brother Cooley said. If you want to call me a dummy then we can compare IQ.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I have a client who files a nonresident NY return, and the state insists that his wife does not have to sign it.  I think it's considered a separate return, even though they file a joint 1040.  It's on extension so I'm not going to pull it out of the pile right now to look at what we did last year.  

0 Cheers