Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a second amended 1120S

david3
Level 7

I prepared a second amended 2020 1120S due to ERC credits the client received. I followed all the instructions on how to file a second amended 1120S.

However, when I check the box on the EF information Worksheet to file another federal amended return electronically, I get an error message that says The additional Amended Return check box can not be selected for E-Filing because the original Amended Return does not have an "Accepted" E-Filing status from the IRS. 

The client status shows that the first amended tax return was e-file accepted.

What do I need to do in order to e-file the second 1120S?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you make a copy or are you using the same file that you used for the first amended return? 

Things get goofy when a copy gets in the mix.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
david3
Level 7

I followed the instructions and saved the file as amended 1, closed it and then opened the first amended return and made the changes.

I don't know why amended returns have to be so hard to e-file in PS.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like you did it right.

As long as you used the file that was originally accepted, there shouldn't be an issue...its when you use the copy that things get weird because the EF data doesn't get saved in a copy with a different name.

Maybe you goofed and used the wrong file?   You may be stuck paper filing that second amendment.

I stopped making copies of the wrong file, I save a PDF or print out, but if its wrong I no longer need a computer copy of it floating around to get mixed up, I keep 1 master file per client with the same file name structure for everyone that rolls from year to year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪