Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filing a return when someone else prepared and filed an extension

kattsmeow17
Level 3

clients were a married couple.  racked up sizable suspended rental losses.  got divorced in 2021.  when set up for 2021 individual returns, transferred 100% of  suspended losses to each individual return with intention of going into the loss figures and changing them to 50%.  However, Proseries will not let me change the figures.  Got pressed for time and had to file extensions for both individual returns.  I am going to have to do new returns for each one entering in the 50% figures.  My problem is how do I get the extension info into the new returns so they do not get labelled as "late filed?"

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

Sched E worksheet - scroll way down - there is a carryover worksheet for suspended losses

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

Check the 4868 on Federal Information Worksheet, check the Freeze box on the Form4868

Go to the EF Center,  highlight the clients return - then do EFile - Electronic Filing - Update Acknowledgment Status

that should pull the info for the client

kattsmeow17
Level 3

In connection with this, when preparing the new return, where can I enter the prior suspended losses.  Instructions say on the "carried forward" worksheet, but I do not find any place to enter the info.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Sched E worksheet - scroll way down - there is a carryover worksheet for suspended losses

kattsmeow17
Level 3

thanks!!

dkh
Level 15

You're welcome