Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File folder labels

danthetaxman
Level 3

I want to print "file folder" labels (Avery 5266 2/3" x 3 7/16") with ProSeries.  It appears you can only print lables with the client's full street, city, state, and zip code.  Can I do this?  I want to set up files for next year. (2023 taxes)

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

I always print file folder labels from homebase using regular mailing address labels.  Using those labels instead of actual "file folder" labels doesn't seem to hinder my search to find a client folder in the file cabinet. 😀

Slava Ukraini!
danthetaxman
Level 3
  • Thanks for replying. I guess I'll have to settle for that, but you would think that the software would allow one to print file folder labels.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You could export the Homebase view.  Then get rid of everything besides the names.  Then use Word (or other similar word processing program) to import that list of names into labels.

danthetaxman
Level 3

And how may I ask that I do that? TIA.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I edited HB to only show the taxpayer last name, first name and and the spouse last name, first name then I hired someone over the summer to type those into Word as labels..... because trying to get them exported and imported into a word processing program and into label format made me want to bang my head on the desk and hurt people and I had more money than time and patience.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

I don't start a new folder for each client every year.  I print (pen and ink, neatly in block caps) the client name on a file folder, the first year.  I don't do that very often because I have not taken new clients, with few exceptions, for a decade or more.  That folder stays in the files until the tab gets too dog-eared that I have to start over.  Every three or four years we "weed out" the old returns (keeping pdf copies, and scans of W-2s and 1099's) and send the contents to the shredder.  

About 30 years ago, my clerical help had some extra time so she typed client names on new folders.  (Remember typewriters?)  I still have some of those in the file cabinet.

My office assistant now likes to start new folders with felt-tip pens and in cursive.  I really don't like the way it looks, but I'm not going to say anything.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I used to keep three years worth of client info in a file until it headed to dead storage.  To conserve a little on filing cabinet space, I revised that to two years until a new file is created.  As long as a name is on the file that can be read by a human being, I'm not sure why folks want to get picky on the format.  But then again, I'm old and don't want to spend a chunk of my remaining years fussing over names on folders.

Slava Ukraini!
danthetaxman
Level 3

Here is the way to do it.  Some of you got me on the right track.

1) On the Proseries top bar, select Homebase, then "export contacts".  (Don't use "export custom views")

2) The file will be located in C:\prowin22\common\exports\contacts

3) Open that file and remove all columns except column A.  Save the file as an Excel workbook.

4) Follow the instructions in this excellent Youtube video by a Microsoft employee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwI4mgEYtg

5) It is still difficult to do. You have to fix the address box/match fields, otherwise its blank.  Then you have to update all labels, then edit individual labels, then print this file, not the original word file.

0 Cheers