Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal income tax refund worksheet - Iowa 1040

mhamm30
Level 3

In the Iowa return, Federal Income Tax Refund worksheet, Line A asks for amount of fed refund received previous year. This amount does not carry to line 27 IA 1040. Does anyone know the purpose of this worksheet? Or do we simply enter this refund directly on the t wants to net out the fed stimulus received if refund exceeds that amount.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tihle
Level 1

It seems as though the Iowa worksheet is automatically subtracting $1400 from the Federal Tax refund for the stimulus. I would think you would only do this is the taxpayer received stimulus included in their refund for last year. Anyone else seeing this?

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

The purpose is, you get a deduction for federal taxes paid.  So when you get a federal refund, you need to reflect that fact the following year.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
mhamm30
Level 3

Thanks IronMan. I understand that, and we can enter that fed refund directly on the IA 1040. My question is the purpose of the worksheet, if this amount entered on the worksheet does not carry to line 27 on the IA return. The worksheet includes not only the fed refund but EIC and fed stimulus. There has to be a reason they created the worksheet....

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, it's been awhile since I prepared an Iowa return.  Somebody from that side of the tracks is going to have to help you with that one.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@taxiowa front and center. 😁

tihle
Level 1

It seems as though the Iowa worksheet is automatically subtracting $1400 from the Federal Tax refund for the stimulus. I would think you would only do this is the taxpayer received stimulus included in their refund for last year. Anyone else seeing this?

mhamm30
Level 3

That is what the worksheet is doing! You are correct. I could not get my arms around that. We will need to make that adjustment on that worksheet for every taxpayer, as it is defaulting to the full stimulus amount allowed - based on 2021 numbers. And for those taxpayers that we claimed additional stimulus on the filed return, and then that later was altered by the IRS - we will need to use the adjusted amount, not the filed amount on the original return. And of course, in most cases we do not have that adjusted amount. My head already hurts!

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

This problem has been pointed out to administrator last week.  Maybe the fix will be in soon.  For now just enter 0 on Line G of smart worksheet.  Or enter amount from 2020 Line 30 on Line G if that was populated.  Maybe Gabi will let us know when programers make the update.  You can't rely on me to update you cuz I like wine too much.

Shirley79
Level 4

YES!!!!!  

The 2020 refunds are being completely removed in some cases.  Iowa instructions say to not include stimulus but it doesn't say to subtract stimulus.

HELP

mhamm30
Level 3

It appears we need to net out the portion of the refund attributed to stimulus, and report the net refund of this worksheet.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

As I mentioned above, I have already alerted someone at Intuit over a week ago.  Until it is fixed you need to enter 0 on Line G on not so smart worksheet for Line 27.  I guess you could call support to see if you can get it expediated.  It does need corrected though or Iowa Dept of Rev is going to be pissed.  Average taxpayer saves about $120 until till you correct it.

lschmitt
Level 3

In a land far, far away in the not too distant future, we will receive an Iowa program that is perfect in every way the first shot through........my not too distant future and your not too distant future might not be the same thing 😉

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

The other ordeal I forgot to mention is that if you did not open and save all clients with unemployment exemption in 2020, the program only carries forward the pre-exemption federal refund.  Which of course also understates Iowa tax owed.

Shirley79
Level 4

Exactly.  I just filed a tax that had that situation.

0 Cheers