Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Extension 4/19/22 for Massachusetts Residents

MWMALLON
Level 2

I tried filing an extension for a Massachusetts resident today 4/19/22 which is the deadline for Maine & Massachusetts residents unlike the rest of the country.

Proseries is not allowing it saying it is past the deadline.  I searched for solutions and there seemed to be a link to a workaround from 2019 when it must have happened also. 

Unfortunately, the link was dead.  Does anyone happen to know if or how this can be done?

Thanks.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

26 Comments 26
trvlnannie
Level 2

We have the same issue.  Many extensions have money going it with them.  Very upsetting considering how much Lacerte costs and they have not figured this out on 4/19...  We tried calling and they are not open.

If I find out anything, I will let you know.

MWMALLON
Level 2

If there is no workaround we will likely have clients that owed money with their extensions use the IRS portal to pay an extension payment.  Using that qualifies as an automatic extension filing.  Hopefully the extension payment option is still available there.

0 Cheers
bwallcpaea
Level 2

I just got off the phone with support and she was adament that extensions had to be efiled by yesterday even for MASS and ME.  But she said you could efile a return.  I think Proseries blew it on this one!!!

steviedcpa
Level 2

yeah, you're  SOL ...........i tried also,,,,,,,,would have been nice if they sent out an ALERT.....or did i miss that

0 Cheers
steviedcpa
Level 2

already talked to support in Bangaldesh...........we're SOL............did i miss an ALERT?

MWMALLON
Level 2

This is a similar thing from 2019 but with a dead link but it looks like there may have been a workaround.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/massachusetts-resident-...

0 Cheers
tpinkham
Level 1

I just spoke to them and was told we have to file on paper.  There is no other work around and they will not be updating their program. 

0 Cheers
smsacct
Level 2

Going to loose my subscription over this.,, Can't believe Pro series missed this. I rely on this software to help clients comply with the law.

NO EXCUSE TO FAIL TO PROVIDE FOR APRIL 19 MASSACHUSETTS AND MAINE EXTENSIONS PRO SERIES 

0 Cheers
trvlnannie
Level 2

I agree.  Absolutely not excuse for this poor service.  The tech actually told us that their site did not say the returns were due 4/19/22 for MA & ME residents - they don't even know what is on their own website.....  I am furious to put it lightly....

I'm thinking a lot of people will think about changing software after this big mess us.

MNagle22
Level 2

I just got off the phone with support.  They are working on a fix.  In 1/2 hr (Approx. 10:30 EST) run updates, refresh updates if necessary, then try to submit again.

I provided a screen shot from the IRS website showing the Maine and Mass deadline was April 19th.

0 Cheers
MAHCPA
Level 2

Just discovered this and got off the phone with Pro Series. IF they fix it we will get an alert within the software but I am not going to wait until the end of the day. Luckily I only have two more extensions to file and can do it by mail but I shouldn't have to. BIG MISTAKE Intuit!

0 Cheers
hooptax
Level 1

I was just told by support that the issue should be resolved in 30 minutes and to try filing extensions again then.

IntuitGabi

We're researching this and will give an update when it is available. 

0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3

Will we get an immediate alert?

0 Cheers
Level 1

What about Maine?  I still can't e-file Federal extensions, especially when taxes need to be paid too.  Filing by paper - REALLY - in today's electronic world!!!  Unacceptable!!!

0 Cheers
MDAROSA1
Level 3

Any luck?

0 Cheers
MNagle22
Level 2

I ran a "refresh updates" and have had success.

0 Cheers
hooptax
Level 1

I see where I can file individual extensions, what about Maine Corporations?

0 Cheers
bwallcpaea
Level 2

MA is fixed after running refresh updates.  Don't know about our friends to the north.  Hopefully they took care of all the Maine-iacs too,  not just us Massholes.

MAHCPA
Level 2

It's working now.

0 Cheers
MAHCPA
Level 2

Mainers are all set now!

0 Cheers
bwallcpaea
Level 2

I think we celebrated a little too early.  Fed extensions with no payments are going through, but those with a payment are still being blocked by the date.

0 Cheers
MNagle22
Level 2

Uncheck the "error check" box on the submit screen and be sure a phone number is entered on the info worksheet.  I was able to get mine to go through that way

bwallcpaea
Level 2

Well Done.  Thank you.

steviedcpa
Level 2

disable the error checking !....huh, now why did nt  i think of that?...............ugh ugh

0 Cheers
steviedcpa
Level 2

ugh, ugh,,,,,disable the error checking !....ha !........now why did nt i think of that.........who knew

0 Cheers