Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDIC insurance for bank investments - do you have a link to how to calculate

Greta
Level 9

Banker told me that the 250K FDIC insurance can be increased if beneficiaries are included in the calculation. I'd like to be better informed how that works.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Look in the link for revocable trusts. 

What are you thinking of when you use "beneficiaries"?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Norman2001
Level 7
Greta
Level 9

Good link. All examples seem to say "with no beneficiaries."  How do the beneficiaries change the calculation?

IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't believe adding beneficiaries to an account increases FDIC coverage.  But if those beneficiaries are changed to joint owners, that would increase coverage since each owner would be allowed $250,000 of coverage on the account

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

Look in the link for revocable trusts. 

What are you thinking of when you use "beneficiaries"?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

Audio and transcript: https://www.suzeorman.com/blog/Podcast-Episode-Suze-School:-What-you-need-to-know-about-FDIC-insuran...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Also as far as I know, if the bank goes under, all of the applicable accounts and applicable amounts under the applicable social security number, are combined into one, and if that is in excess of $250,000, then the person may be up s*** crick. You can look into this yourself but I believe this is the case.