Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family got PR in '17 went back to India.Mother-Daughtercomes backforever in May'18 . Father takes 2 trips in'18 for25 days. should it be DualStatus filing? filing status?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

They were dual status the year they got the Green Card.

2018 they are Resident Aliens all year (I think - got green cards in 2017?). File 1040. Report worldwide income. They can file MFS or MFJ.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

They were dual status the year they got the Green Card.

2018 they are Resident Aliens all year (I think - got green cards in 2017?). File 1040. Report worldwide income. They can file MFS or MFJ.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Below your question you have plenty of room to add details using complete sentences without abbreviations.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
When I type my question in detail, I am not allowed to post it as its more than 170 characters. I can't email directly either. I don't have plenty of room to add details. This is my first time asking help with the pro series community. So if you can tell me exactly where I can present my full question and post it, that would be great. I don't like to present cryptic question but I had no other choice.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You can always add it in a comment like you just posted.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
The family of 3 (couple & daughter- age 21) came to US in 2017, received green card and then went back to India to complete daughter's education. In May 2018, Mother and Daughter came back  to US for forever.  Father takes two trips in 2018  to visit them. First for 10 days in Jan'18 and second for 15 days in Nov'18. Father comes back to US forever in March 2019.

What filing status should I choose and is this the case of "Dual Status filing" for the couples?

Thank you.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"When I type my question in detail, I am not allowed to post it as its more than 170 characters."  Wrong.

You type in the header.  Then below THAT you put as much info as you desire.  Some folks have written tomes.
You can also go to the itty bitty down arrow in the upper right & click on it to edit your OP.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers