Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Credit

JMT2022
Level 1

My client purchased a 2022 Tesla Model 3 June 3, 2022.  Form  8936 gives me a Tentative credit of Zero.  How do I get ProSeries to let me claim the credit?

IRS: If you entered a written binding contract to buy a vehicle after December 31, 2021, and before August 16, 2022, but took delivery on or after August 16, 2022, you may elect to claim the credit based on the prior rules.  To elect the credit under the prior rules you must elect the credit on your 2022 tax return after you take delivery of the vehicle.  Depending on the date the vehicle is delivered, you can claim the credit on your original, superseding, or amended 2022 tax return. 

How to Claim the Credit

To claim the credit for a vehicle you took possession of in 2022, file Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (Including Qualified Two-Wheeled Pl... with your 2022 tax return. You will need to provide your vehicle's VIN.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IntuitRichard
Employee
Employee

I believe you should be able to get the credit to calculate using the 8936 worksheet.  I setup a dummy return and was able to get a tentative credit of 7,500.  I would recommend contacting ProSeries Technical support if you are unable to get the credit to calculate properly.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No credit for Teslas purchased in 2022. 

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@JMT2022 wrote:

IRS: If you entered a written binding contract to buy a vehicle after December 31, 2021, and before August 16, 2022, but took delivery on or after August 16, 2022, you may elect to claim the credit based on the prior rules.  

Yes, and those "prior rules" say that Tesla hit the manufacturing 'cap' and that they don't qualify for a credit anymore (until the new rules started in January of 2023).

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/manufacturers-and-models-for-new-qualified-clean-vehicles-pur...

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

2022 was a bad year to buy a Tesla.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Bookmark and use this website:

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/electric-vehicles-for-tax-credit

There are tabs there, to help, because there are at least three ways to check on this. By year purchased, by year in service, and whether it is used or new. For instance, one requirement changed in August 2022 (location of final assembly).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers