Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entrance fee to nursing home deduction limit in 2023?

Greta
Level 9

Entrance fee is $400K. How much of that is deductible in 2023? In 2024?

42 Comments 42
abctax55
Level 15

How much of that is for medical care?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Wow that is a lot of money. I don't recall that happening around here so that may be a Virginia thing. Up here people just pay each month, which can be anywhere from a few thousand to maybe 15,000 or so a month. But $400,000. Does that cover everything for as long as the person's in the nursing home?

BobKamman
Level 15

I see those occasionally - it's usually for an "assisted living" arrangement where the resident is somewhat independent, but nursing care is available if needed.  The resident pays monthly "rent" also.  The facility gives the resident a lengthy memo saying what percentage (to four decimal points) of its  expenses are for medically-related costs, and then cites two methods of using that number based on some Tax Court or IRS rulings.  Ask the facility about what to expect as documentation, and when to expect it.  ($400K is probably for a couple?)  

Greta
Level 9

And the client got a discount! Usually the entrance fee is 1/2 mil per person. Kendal. It's a huge complex and growing. So many (wealthy) seniors live in this town. Nearly all university professors end up at Kendal. Good company, communal dining, events. The fee assures that folks can stay there in stages, as their needs increase. On top of entry fee, the monthly charges are about 4K/mo. The fee is deductible up to a limit, which some years ago was 100K. I couldn't find the current limit on the IRS site.

IRonMaN
Level 15

$400K????????  Is that for the nursing home penthouse? 😱

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

The monthly rent is reduced if you pay a lump sum upfront.

Sometimes some of the lump is refundable if you die before a certain number of years.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

What happens if they pass away shortly after paying that $400,000 and entering that nursing home? Does their family get back some of that $400,000?

sjrcpa
Level 15

Depends on the option(s) they chose. There's usually 3.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Here's what one of their facilities said about the tax benefits, a couple years ago:

https://admiral.kendal.org/2018/11/09/tax-benefits-of-life-plan-communities-you-may-not-know-about/

PATAX
Level 15

I think we are in the wrong line of work.

Greta
Level 9

Yes, the fee is refunded if death occurs too soon. IRS does not ask what portion of entrance fee is for medical expense. It is assumed that eventually medical expense will be needed. The letter their office issues as to what (minuscule) part of the monthly charges are for medical reasons are not always accurate in my mind: Another of my clients has been demented for years, she could not survive a minute on her own. According to IRS instructions the entire monthly charge should be deductible, whereas the Kendal letter takes a most conservative approach, these letters appear identical, form letters.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Greta wrote:

IRS does not ask what portion of entrance fee is for medical expense.

You might want to review that section in Publication 502.

"The part of the payment you include is the amount properly allocable to medical care ... You can use a statement from the retirement home to prove the amount properly allocable to medical care."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2022_publink1000178969

Greta
Level 9

Nursing homes pay their administrators very well. I have a few clients who make enormous incomes in that line of work. Another line of work brought a $750K W-2 to a young woman with just a high school degree as a mortgage broker during the last few heady years. Both lines of work require enormous hours. I, after all, mostly work nonstop for just 3 months. I used to be a college professor, earned a lot less, and withstood backstabbing "colleagues". In short, no complaints now!

abctax55
Level 15

It is assumed that eventually medical expense will be needed. 

Not quite sure that means you get a 'deduction' now, for future/eventual medical expenses.

( Generic Comment )"
Greta
Level 9

That was my thinking, that eventually medical needs will kick in. With an entry fee of 1/2 mil., it seemed that the limit suggested by IRS was reasonable. I will ask the nursing home administrator, but I suspect she will tell me "to check with your tax accountant." I am convinced I saw that limit published some years ago, but can't find it now! Should the deduction be taken in the year it was paid, similar to health insurance premiums?

BobKamman
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

It is assumed that eventually medical expense will be needed. 

Not quite sure that means you get a 'deduction' now, for future/eventual medical expenses.

So tell us how you feel about health insurance premiums and long-term care insurance premiums.  

abctax55
Level 15

Apples/oranges 

( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

I wonder what percentage, if any, of that $400,000 has to be set aside in a "Perpetual Care" like account? In Pennsylvania, I believe a percentage of revenue of cemeteries has to be put aside in a Perpetual Care Account, I.E. it cannot be spent for current year operations.

Greta
Level 9

I now feel like an idiot for asking the original question. I contacted the nursing home and they emailed me the deductible numbers! For a lifecare contract, the deduction attributable to medical care is $76,500 in 2023. For a couple, it's $122,000. Plus $711 per month's charge. So my client is definitely itemizing.

abctax55
Level 15

@Greta  - I'm glad I haven't done anything to make myself feel like an 'idiot'.  Well not in the last ten minutes anyway. 😉

( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

@Greta I am glad you asked original question, it was a good discussion. A neighbor/client called me a couple of days ago, and she brought up that subject. She said there is an area nursing home/assisted living facility in the area that does charge an entrance fee: $300,000.00 she said. So I was wrong, this is occuring apparently throughout the country. Thanks Greta for bringing up subject.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If I have to come up with $300,000 up front to be sent someplace to die, my instructions to my family will be to just put me on an ice floe on Lake Superior and wave goodbye.  It's a cheaper and more scenic way to go.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

MY instructions are for cement overshoes, take me out into the middle of Lake Tahoe, and I'll jump overboard.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can still jump while wearing cement overshoes? 😜

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

If not, my 'friends' will be happy to push me 🤣

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Now, Jeff and Anna, that's all too depressing.  You wouldn't expect me to give you thumbs up for those ideas, would you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Jensen... well, it's really only if I'm terminal, or have dementia.  Otherwise, I'll spend all my money on myself before 'departure.

We had a dear couple we became close to; they 'bought' into this type of arrangement as the complex was being built so they actually had input on the floor plan of their 'apartment'.  It was on an estuary in the San Franciso/Bay Area.  Absolutely beautiful; sadly he passed before they could move in.  The facility also had the option(s) to stay as one progressed thru the levels of care needs.  

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Anna, deaths and taxes... two certainties in life.  And we have to deal with both, probably more so than others, even taxes in deaths, for crying out loud.

But truly, I hope we all have a happy and peaceful death before we meet our maker.  And I just can't bring myself to upvote your post.  I'm sorry. 😥

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I know my death will be happy ———- the Intuit moderators will be happy to finally get rid of me🤪

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

That's fine, Jensen.  Altho it does likely mean I won't have enough points for your Christmas present this December.  The nice items in the ACME have become more & more expensive (with inflation ;-).

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

In the event you wish to do some early pre-planning ------- ACME catalog page 229 - cement overshoes are on sale.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

But without Jensen's votes, can I afford them?

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll help pitch in with some of the votes I have tucked away in savings since ice floes are free.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

But Jeff.... we would miss you.  And your jokes 😉

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'll pick an ice floe with good wifi reception 

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

If I have to come up with $300,000 up front to be sent someplace to die, my instructions to my family will be to just put me on an ice floe on Lake Superior and wave goodbye.  It's a cheaper and more scenic way to go.

Sounds delightful.  Superior was my favorite of the Great Lakes, just thought it was somehow . . . better.

Is this like the cemeteries and you have to reserve something in advance?  Or can anyone be floated out?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Until the lake is filled up with the dearly departed, I think you can just check in whenever you want.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

" you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" 

Sorta like Hotel California?

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

As Gordon Lightfoot would say:

"The lake, it is said, never gives up her deadWhen the skies of November turn gloomy"

So if you want it to be eternal, plan on going in November.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

But without Jensen's votes, can I afford them?

There, you have my vote for a Christmas present. 🤣

Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I'll pick an ice floe with good wifi reception 

At least you won't have to worry about the ice floe being leaky.  But shrinking real estate is a different story.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

Until the lake is filled up with the dearly departed, I think you can just check in whenever you want.

What you said reminds me of this news story: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/31/lake-mead-human-remains-identification-climate-c...

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers