Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

entering share sale with code X

acctjo
Level 3

I am entering a share sale on the 8949 with the code X and keep getting error messages. This happens when I try to enter it on the worksheet also. How do I report it and not have it show as taxable income?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Why would you think it is not taxable income?

0 Cheers
acctjo
Level 3

I may be confused thus the question. code X says it qualifies for exclusion

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

When I look up code X  for 1099-B this is what I see

Code X. Use this code to report a transaction if you cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown.

I don't see anything there about an exclusion, just that the issuer did not know the holding period of an uncovered security.

0 Cheers
acctjo
Level 3

On the 1099B worksheet it states that code X is for DC Zone or exclusion. This sale shows no date acquired, no cost or basis and checked as Noncovered security only proceeds from sale in excess of $50,000.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Client or his financial advisor will need to provide some basis information before you can accurately file the return. (Unless they wish to report the entire sale as Gain).

You are looking at the Adjustment Code list, not the 8494 box code on the entry line just before the date sold.

0 Cheers
acctjo
Level 3

Code x is on the 1099B. Client was able to resolve problem.

Thanks for youhelp.

0 Cheers