Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering day trader transactions in Proseries

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi everyone. I see when I search for Day trader this one comes up: Entering day trader transactions in ProConnect.

How about Proseries? Whenever I am searching some can find somehow everything in ProConnect but Proseries does not have it. Please help me where can I select 

1. Election to Use Mark-to-Market Method of Accounting
  2. Check the box for Mark-to-market election for traders [475(f)] in Proseries.

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you use the WHERE DO I ENTER button on the toolbar and type in ELE the list of elections should appear...is it in there?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Sadly, is not there this election: 

1. Election to Use Mark-to-Market Method of Accounting
  2. Check the box for Mark-to-market election for traders [475(f)] 

I think Proseries does not handle it, filing tax return for stock traders.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

All you have to do in ProSeries is to attach a pdf. Here is the statement that you need to attach from IRS:

A trader must make the mark-to-market election by the original due date (not including extensions) of the tax return for the year prior to the year for which the election becomes effective. You can make the election by attaching a statement either to your income tax return if filed without an extension or to a request for an extension of time to file your return. The statement should include the following information:

1. That you're making an election under section 475(f);
  2. The first tax year for which the election is effective (that is, the tax year for which a timely election is being made); and
  3. The trade or business for which you're making the election.
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot,  could you please explain more regarding part 3:

1. The trade or business for which you're making the election.
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

That would be your clients business name. (LLC, Partnership, Scorp, or Sole Proprietorship) What business entity is your client? 

HOPE2
Level 8

Got it and really appreciate it. I have two clients . One has S Corp and the other one (sole-prop) should apparently file schedule C based on IRS : Topic No. 429 Traders in Securities (Information for Form 1040 or 1040-SR Filers)

Owner S Corp wants to shift his activity of stock trading to his S Corp but to be honest I am confused regarding 3115 form since traders are required to file a form 3115 but his S Corp has other activities like import and export which has already hybrid accounting method. 

How about if someone wants to open his/her business (new) with S Corp type also wants to be a day trader?

The individual one acts like sole-prop should he file 3115 as well? 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Your sole proprietor will file on schedule C, and his buys and sales are reported on form 4797 for all his securities activities that are not for his investment, and he will have to file a 3115. I believe it is an automatic change with a DCN number. Most traders will have both personal investments, and trader activities. As for an Scorp I believe the only accounting change is for the Scorps securities activities only, and all other activities will remain as is, but he still has to file 3115. That is only my understanding for the Scorp, as I have only done a sole proprietor

HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot , am I correct if so one S Corp can have two method; one for MTM and the other for routine activities or client should have one S Corp just for MTM, day trading along with its election.

For sole proprietor, will file on schedule C without SE tax, right, so how did you make your client exempt from SE tax since we have two lines on sch C which belong to forms 4029 and 4361 above the first QuickZoom on schedule C. 

For sole-prop; he started trading in the beginning 2022 and already filed his 2021 return.  When he should file 3115? As I understood you explained and my searching form 3115 should file before April 15, 2022 for the year of 2022 trading, am I right? If so, what is the solution? Again, I really appreciate for your help. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If it's a new business in 2022, it adopts the accounting method on the first Schedule C. There is nothing to change.

Why an S Corporation for day trading?

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

@sjrcpa ... because of all the liability associated with day trading??? /S

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

On the Scorp, My understanding is they use one for MTM, and one for everything else. For your sole proprietor go to schedule SE. and quick zoom to the SE adjustments worksheet, and use line 7 to enter amount not subject to SE tax 

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Like @sjrcpa I don't see why anyone would be an Scorp

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I don't see why anyone would be an Scorp"

Because the barber said so? 😉

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

"I don't see why anyone would be an Scorp"

Because the barber said so? 😉

An ex-client told me he wanted to do it so he could deduct his internet and cable TV bill.  You know because he used them for investment research so they're 100% deductible, right?  And he could put his car in the S Corp name and that would be deductible because it was owned by the business, right?  And if the S Corp owned the house he lived in . . .

sjrcpa
Level 15

And he got all this from a seminar he attended.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Not a seminar. Like @IRonMaN said, his barber ! 😀

HOPE2
Level 8

Thank you for your response. I still am not sure what the answer is. Is Day trading possible under S Corp without any problems? 

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, should file 3115 before due date 2022 tax return along with Sch C you meant?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's possible but a bunch of us don't think it's a good idea. [

Ex-AllStar