Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing a password protected return to a client

aimee
Level 1

I am trying to email a client a copy of their 2017 tax return.

I get Send mail error code #10250, and nothing sends.

How do I fix this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Someone else complained the other day about the same error trying to email a PDF through proseries....   can you print to the printer?  what about print to PDF without trying to email at the same time?   

Im wondering if it has something to do with the pdf printer driver being chosen to use.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
aimee
Level 1

After 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with tech support I have resolved the problem.  This might help others:

I recently updated my computer and my Microsoft Suite.  I use Outlook as my email default.  The new version only comes in 64 bit.  For tax years 2018 and 2019 there is a checkbox that must be checked in order to email encrypted returns to clients.

From the top menu select Tools. Select Options. At the bottom right check the box that says 64bit under email options.

For years prior to 2018, this isn't an option so you have to use another work around.

Create a PDF copy of your clients return.

Find the PDF, right click on it and open it as a Word Document vs. the default of Adobe.

Open it in Word and Choose File, Info, Protect.  Create a Password that you can then instruct your client how to open - similar to how Proseries currently sets one up.

Email your client the Word Doc and separately email them the instructions to open the Password.

Special shout out to Eric in VA at Tech Support for all his help this morning!!