Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric vehicle tax credit

acitrola
Level 1

There apparently is an issue with Form 8936-A (electric vehicle tax credit) within Pro-Series. 

I may be mistaken, but Intuit is NOT able to fix various errors/problems occurring with this form.  

Am I correct to state users must manually fill in the credit in Part II, Line 9?

Why isn't this calculation done by the program? 

Also, I am unable to checkoff boxes 6 and 7 in Part I.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am?

Anthony

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
sjrcpa
Level 15

You are not alone.

Seems the input is not logical.

https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/does-the-nissan-leaf-2...

EDIT: That's not what I meant to link. Can't find it now. Someone said you have to enter the amount of the credit to get the form to fill out correctly.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had one today and it worked perfect. 🤷‍♀️

it was a Tesla Y model. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@acitrola wrote:

There apparently is an issue with Form 8936-A (electric vehicle tax credit) within Pro-Series. 

I may be mistaken, but Intuit is NOT able to fix various errors/problems occurring with this form.  

Am I correct to state users must manually fill in the credit in Part II, Line 9?

Why isn't this calculation done by the program? 

Also, I am unable to checkoff boxes 6 and 7 in Part I.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am?

Do you mean Schedule A of Form 8936?  Or do you actually mean Form 8936-A?

What errors/problems are you talking about?

Yes.

Would you prefer the program to ask you about the percentage of the minerals in the batter and the percentage of battery components, as well as several other questions?  Or do you think that just looking at the form that the dealer gave to your client to enter the credit amount would be easier?  Have you read the IRS Instructions for that line?

What are you checking in Box 5?  That is probably your problem.

Maybe, but at first glance it seems to be user error, not any error with the program.

acitrola
Level 1

Box 5, I checked yes.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@acitrola wrote:

Box 5, I checked yes.

Okay, is this a "new" vehicle or is it a "previously owned" vehicle?

0 Cheers
acitrola
Level 1

New Tesla

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are talking about?

The check box for 5 is if it is a "new clean vehicle".  If you check "yes", then it says to go to Part 2.  Boxes 6 and 7 should NOT be filled in.

Or am I looking at something other than what you are looking at?

acitrola
Level 1

Got it!

Thank you!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...I may be mistaken, but Intuit is NOT able to fix various errors/problems occurring with this form.  "

So, the errors have now been fixed?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
deb4
Level 3

I am having an issue with the $7500 credit not flowing to line 6f of Schedule 3.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@deb4 wrote:

I am having an issue with the $7500 credit not flowing to line 6f of Schedule 3.

Is this the personal credit on Form 8936?

• Top of the worksheet, Line 1 = Yes?
  • Part 1, fill in 1-3?
  • Part 1, line 4 = No?
  • Part 1, line 5 = Yes?
  • Part 2, line 8 = Yes?
  • Part 2, line 9 = $7500 (or $3750, if applicable)?
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

FYI: I see that @deb4 has resolved the problem by a comment on a different topic, It helps not to ask in multiple places, to reduce the workload on the volunteers.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.