Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EITC and MFS

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Hello All,

In 2021 taxpayers who file MFS and meet the requirements qualify for EITC. This amount SHOULD flow through to Illinois Il-E/EIC form and it does not. We cannot find anything in the statute that states otherwise so we believe this to be a flaw for Illinois EITC. 

I would encourage others in Illinois to check this AND those other states that allow EITC and flow through from Federal. 

Please check in here.......

@IntuitGabi @IntuitBettyJo 

16 Comments 16
M Braun
Level 2

I believe you might have posted here after we discussed this on Facebook but I am having the same issue.  The Illinois EIC statutes simply refer back to the Federal EIC so I believe MFS taxpayers in Illinois should qualify for the IL-EIC as well.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Hi @M Braun 

Yes, that was you and I chatting back and forth on FB. 

I want to see if the moderators will pop in here and report this. 

0 Cheers
Dusty2
Level 7

Did they live apart the last 6 months of the year? why are they not eligible for HOH?

Dusty

0 Cheers
M Braun
Level 2

They lived apart all year.  No kids, so no Head of Household.  With the expanded federal EIC ($1,502) the Illinois EIC can be significant even for childless taxpayers.  IL EIC at 18% of Federal could be up to $270.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@M Braun wrote:

No kids,

No kids?

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but why do you think MFS qualified for EIC (even Federal EIC)?

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@TaxGuyBill for 2021, filing MFS qualifies for EITC. 

Certain rules apply for MFS and kids.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@garman22 wrote:

@TaxGuyBill for 2021, filing MFS qualifies for EITC. 

Certain rules apply for MFS and kids.

Yes, WITH kids.  The other person said NO kids.  Totally different.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

With the expanded EITC rules for MFS, I would imagine no kids would qualify.  But as of now, I cant see where this person would qualify at MFS w/ no kids. I'll have to research this more. But the EITC still does not carry to Illinois for its EITC. 

@M Braun can you possibly shed some light? 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@garman22 wrote:

With the expanded EITC rules for MFS, I would imagine no kids would qualify. 

No, a person need a Qualifying Child in order to claim EIC while filing MFS.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p596#en_US_2021_publink1000297448

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/32#d

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@TaxGuyBill wrote:

@garman22 wrote:

With the expanded EITC rules for MFS, I would imagine no kids would qualify. 

No, a person need a Qualifying Child in order to claim EIC while filing MFS.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p596#en_US_2021_publink1000297448

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/32#d

I saw the IRS one but did not see Cornell. 

Thanks

0 Cheers
M Braun
Level 2

Returns are already getting mixed up in my head and I apologize.  The return I am questioning actually does have a dependent child.  Taxpayer does not qualify for Head of Household because mom didn't pay at least 1/2 the costs of the home.  I believe the new rules allow a Federal EIC and since the IL statutes say that the IL EIC is 18% of the Federal EIC that this taxpayer should get the IL-EIC as well.

0 Cheers
M Braun
Level 2

I apologize.  I had returns mixed up.  My original client did have a dependent child.  So they do qualify for federal EIC under the new EIC rules.  Thanks to the person who commented.  I was not clear that in order to get a federal EIC as MFS you had to have a qualifying child.

0 Cheers
Dusty2
Level 7

@M Braun 

Why are they not eligible for HOH?

Dusty

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

We've got our eyes on this. No updates at the moment, thank you! 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Thanks @IntuitGabi !

Keep us up to date even if the fix is 3 weeks out. Knowing is the battle. Im guessing that this will be a small % of the population with this issue (except for @M Braun ), but a fix is a fix. 

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

The update for this is available in production. Thanks, all.