Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIC Credit Calculation when SSI involved.

amylcpa
Level 2

Has anyone else had an issue where ProSeries calculates the EIC and does not take into account the SSI of the client?  Just want to confirm that I am calculating this correctly and the client does NOT qualify for the EIC even though the program is calculating it.  

My client is 58 years old.  Has W-2 $3036 wages as part of Third Party Sick Pay.  Receives SSI for disability $15331. Lastly, receives inherited IRA distribution $2064.

ProSeries is calculating that he will receive the EIC.  I think the calculation is wrong, but want confirmation from other professionals.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As far as I can tell, the IRS calculator is wrong.  It is including the full amount of Social Security as part of AGI, which is wrong.

From everything that you have said, the taxpayer qualifies.  The bigger question is why was the program not allowing it in prior years.  Did ANYTHING change (filing status, other income, dependency, living in the US, etc.)?

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
BobKamman
Level 15

He does not receive SSI.  That is Supplemental Security Income, for poor people.  He receives Social Security disability benefits, sometimes called SSDI.  

If the sick pay is taxable (not from a policy on which he paid the premiums) then it qualifies in the EIC calculation.  

amylcpa
Level 2

No other year has calculated it as such.  Just this year, 2020.  All other years (exactly the same income)..... the EIC did NOT calculate.  When using the IRS EIC tool you put in the Net Benefits from SSA-1099 and he does not qualify.

Maybe my terminology was wrong.  He receives a SSA-1099 with Benefits of 15331 in Box 5.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill  <--- he's really good with these kinds of things!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@amylcpa wrote:

ProSeries calculates the EIC and does not take into account the SSI of the client

Social Security income doesn't directly affect EIC.  If the Social Security is taxable, it would affect AGI, which CAN affect EIC.

I don't see anything in your post that would disallow EIC.  If the program did not allow it in prior years, perhaps AGI was high enough that it disallowed EIC.

BobKamman
Level 15

He's always received $3,036 a year in sick pay, reported on a W-2?

0 Cheers
amylcpa
Level 2

Yes, His numbers were exactly the same in 2019.  And EIC was not allowed then.  When I go through the IRS EIC calculator it says he does not qualify either.  In the IRS EIC calculator you have to put the entire box 5 amount from SSA-1099.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As far as I can tell, the IRS calculator is wrong.  It is including the full amount of Social Security as part of AGI, which is wrong.

From everything that you have said, the taxpayer qualifies.  The bigger question is why was the program not allowing it in prior years.  Did ANYTHING change (filing status, other income, dependency, living in the US, etc.)?

amylcpa
Level 2

Absolutely nothing else changed from prior years.  Or at least 2019.  Income is exactly the same.  There were years where dependency was an issue, but not in 2019 or 2020.  Thank you for all your help!

0 Cheers