Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile for Form 4868 for Taxpayers who are out of the country-extension to October 15, 2021

Scollier
Level 2

Proseries rep informed me today that 2021 extensions cannot be electronically filed after April 18th even if you check the resident overseas box. They will have to be mailed in. I filed two successfully yesterday (April 19th) but had one fail today (April 20th).
This is likely the last straw for me with Proseries, after the Form 1116-Sched B chaos.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IntuitRebecca

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Could you please try to e-file the extension now, and let me know if you're successful?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
yea, the day after you can usually sneak a few more extensions in, 2 days, youre out of luck....I dont think it has anything to do with the overseas box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Scollier
Level 2

It absolutely does, used to be able to file these extensions up until June 15. 

0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

For the client whose filing failed, did you have a US address entered on their Info Worksheet? I believe their foreign address must be listed there in order to e-file successfully after the deadline for other taxpayers.

- Rebecca

0 Cheers
Scollier
Level 2

Yes, foreign address, though it used to work both ways before.  It is actully in the online help now:

Would have been nice if they sent this out so they could have been filed electronically before April 18th.

Filing an individual Form 4868 electronically

by Intuit70Updated 1 month ago

Before you start:

• The Intuit Electronic Filing Center will not allow electronic submission of Form 4868 after April 15th, unless the taxpayer's SSN previously requested an extenion and was rejected.
  • If it is necessary to change the taxpayer's SSN in order to correct an electronic filing rejection, the Form 4868 will need to be submitted by US Mail if the deadline has passed.
  • Form 4868, filed for U.S.Citizens or resident aliens living abroad, filed after the April 1th deadline must be submitted by US Mail.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm curious to know if this is just a glitch in the software (I would NOT rely on that online help article), or if this is just more evidence that the Intuit developers are clueless.

itonewbie
Level 15

This has to be a glitch or that the software developers have no clue.  Nothing in the law or the IRS' process has changed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Thanks for confirming. I checked with our developers and confirmed that ProSeries does support e-filing these extensions - the article was outdated, and I've asked to have it corrected.

Could you send the exact wording of the error message you get when you try to e-file the extension?

0 Cheers
Scollier
Level 2

(55) You are past the deadline for new filings.  Please contact customer support.

Not transmitted, the first extension(s) failed the tax submission first extension validation step.  Please make necessary corrections.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is there a box to check saying taxpayer is out of the country?

EDIT: You said you did that.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Could you please try to e-file the extension now, and let me know if you're successful?

0 Cheers
Scollier
Level 2

Yes!  That worked, thank you!  It really is discouraging, however, that I have to post online to get results.  This is not the first time tech support has dismissed my issues without raising them to the next level to see if there is indeed a resolution.