Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early withdrawls from 401K

rcooley25
Level 11

I need to be educated on something.

In 2021 if someone withdrew money from their 401K because of a hardship basis is that withdrawl subject to the 10 percent penalty?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
rcooley25
Level 11

That was a dum question that I ask.

I did some research on my own thru other sources and got the answer that I needed so disregard my earlier post.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

How about posting the answer for the next person that wants to know?

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They let you take the withdrawal due to hardship, but the tax and penalty you pay (assuming its an early withdrawal) creates another hardship.  Terribly expensive place to get money from.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

For reference:

401(k) or "qualified employer" plans have different rules than IRA (individual and self-employed) accounts.

The plan and plan administrator control whether hardship withdrawals and loans are allowed.

401(k) also has a "55 year old" provision. And Roth 401(k) has RMD requirements.

The plan provisions don't control the IRS. The IRS still only accepts specific provisions for elimination of penalties.

I like this table for reference:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers