Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Filing Return for Deceased Taxpayers

Summit1
Level 5

Father and Mother both died in 2023. I am filing their final return for the daughter who is the court appointed representative for both. 

I completed a Form 1310 for each taxpayer by marking Box B on each form and plan on attaching a pdf with each court document.

On the EF worksheet under Deceased Taxpayers I answered Yes to question 1. I entered Yes to question 2 and entered court appointed representatives name. 

I am getting a clean Final Review so I feel like as long as I attach the (2) pdf files I will be ok.

Am I missing anything?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Id put the address where you would want any IRS correspondence to be mailed to.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
dkh
Level 15

From posts I've read, getting a clean Final review can be tricky.  Sounds like you have it.

This response will push your post to top of page where others more experienced with the 1310 will hopefully read and respond.

Summit1
Level 5

dkh

Thank you very much!

I will hopefully get additional comments before filing.

sjrcpa
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  seems to have good luck with this. I don't.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think Ive ever attached the court appointment to he return, Ive sent that in already along with the Form 56, so the IRS should already have that.

Summit1
Level 5

Lisa 

I am doing this for a friend of one of my clients. I just got all this information when they were looking for someone to assist them. Do you think based on this information, that attaching the documents might be successful?

Thank you!

Arnold

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Unless if prompting you to attach anything, I dont think its necessary, but it coldnt hurt.

Summit1
Level 5

Lisa 

It required me to file complete the 1310 for each deceased taxpayer. It didn't request the Letters Testamentary but since the Form 56 was not completed earlier I thought I would attach the Letters Testamentary so they would tie in with the 1310's.

Your thoughts

Arnold

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont think any humans actually look at the attachments, but it wouldnt hurt to attach, 

0 Cheers
ehill
Level 4

In prior years I have never been able to efile with box B.  There was hope that it could be done this year but I have not had any this year for a change, or at least not that has required a court representative.

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

I completed a 1310 for each taxpayer with Box B checked and got a clean Final Review. I am going to attached each of the deceased taxpayers Letters Testamentary to the return as additional documentation. 

I hope this is successful!

Fingers Crossed!

Thank you for your reply!

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Lisa:

Last question on this one. Should I leave the deceased taxpayer's address on the return or change it to the Daughter's address that is handling the estate?

Thank you!

Arnold

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Id put the address where you would want any IRS correspondence to be mailed to.

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Lisa and all who have corresponded on this question....I appreciate all the input!

Thank you!

Arnold