Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E Filing an Alabama return for married filing separately situation

meinfeldt
Level 2

I have a situation where the couple is married...but one is a resident of Illinois and one is a resident of Alabama.  They have not lived together for a couple of years now.

I e-filed a married filing jointly tax return for them that was accepted successfully..then created new tax files for each... using their individual tax data and a married filing separate tax classification.

I efiled both state tax returns.The IL return for the IL resident was accepted...but the AL return rejected indicating that it needed to be associated with a fed return.

Does anyone know how I can e-file the AL return?  and not have to send in a paper tax return.

Does a work around exist for this situation?

Any help would be appreciated!  I am buffaloed:-).

Thanks...

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You just go to state from the MFJ return. on the state return (on states that allow filling status different from federal) you will have a choice of MAIN FORM for husband and wife. Just check boxes for each. Not sure basic has, but I think it should.

0 Cheers
meinfeldt
Level 2

Thank you for your reply...and I tried to follow your instructions...but I don't see where I can e-file a Married Filing Separately return for Alabama from a Married Filing Jointly federal return.  The return that I need to file is for the Spouse.

Do you have any more ideas on this?  I remain bamboozled:-)  and I would prefer not to send in a paper return.  In fact, Alabama doesn't want paper returns.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Sorry I don't do AL returns. I do WI, and have had no trouble filing MFJ federal, and MFS state. I had just thought all states that allow different filling status from federal the program would be similar, but I guess not.

0 Cheers