Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filed return NOT received by the IRS

lawtaylor
Level 1

My client received a " tax credit notice"  from the IRS for Form 1040 for 2019 that was timely e-filed. It stated the IRS had NOT received a 2019 tax return from the client. How best to resolve? I have the SBM ID number from Pro Series and simply asking for the easiest resolution? My client is asking if I even e-filed the return in the first place. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

The latest from IRS:

If you got a notice for 2019, send them a copy of the return.

If you got one for 2020, do nothing and wait.

There are a lot of these notices for 2019. Seems like the IRS lost the returns in their system. I don't know how this happens.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I don't know how this happens."

With paper returns, when they get too far behind, an employee gets frustrated and throws a few piles in the garbage.  Evidently now when they get too far behind, they just delete files. 🤔

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Covid lockdown and someone turned off the wrong computer on their way out the door and lost a buncha stuff!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
wjgutcpa
Level 4

Be sure to send the 9325 showing the return was accepted by IRS. You should have that on your end when you efile returns.

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Yup.

Last thing I do with each client is mail them the 9325 and a copy of the signed 8879 for their records. That shows that I filed the return. Also if information the client needs in case I am not doing the tax work a couple of years in the future. (Copies in my file as well.)

wjgutcpa
Level 4

I just wish there was one for the business returns too. We may be needing them, shortly if this issue blows up there next. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I always print the filing history report for the federal and state return and put it in the client's file.  I have never had to go back for something like this, but I sleep better at night knowing I have that info.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Beat me to it IRonMaN I do the same thing. I probably should be sending one to the client, but I don't generally take that step.