Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-file Acknowledgements

DJC
Level 2

I have 2 clients with the same last name.  They have been divorced and filing separately and single for the last dozen years.  This year, I E-Filed the return for him and the acknowledgement indicated it was for him but when it was returned, the software applied it to her return.  The exact same acknowledgement number is now assigned to both returns under the Submission ID but his return still indicates an "Update EF status" and transmitted.  I have not yet prepared her return but the software is indicating it is "EF Accepted" and "E-File Complete".  Now I cannot get the 9325 for him and what happens when I try to E-File her return?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DJC
Level 2

Problem Solved:  Since her return has not been worked on yet, the 2 associated source files were deleted.  I then fired up the application again and it found that the listing was "out of sync".  I indicated to fix it.  That removed her name from the list.  I then requested an update to the E-File status and the system properly applied the update to the correct return.  I then simply used the system to transfer her 2020 information into 2021 and all is happy.  Interesting that this happened but nonetheless, easy to fix.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did you use  the correct SS number, as the IRS uses the SS number and only the first four letters of the last name when you efile.

DJC
Level 2

Problem Solved:  Since her return has not been worked on yet, the 2 associated source files were deleted.  I then fired up the application again and it found that the listing was "out of sync".  I indicated to fix it.  That removed her name from the list.  I then requested an update to the E-File status and the system properly applied the update to the correct return.  I then simply used the system to transfer her 2020 information into 2021 and all is happy.  Interesting that this happened but nonetheless, easy to fix.

DJC
Level 2

Yes the correct SSN came over and was verified.  Problem solved - see other post but thanks for the question.

0 Cheers