Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplex rental one unit managed by owner, one unit managed by prop mgt. Do I need to split on Sch E since owner managed one may qualify for QBI?

jldismukes
Level 1
was reported as one unit in sch E last year.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

I'd report both on one Sch E so long as your client treats and does manage these as one single enterprise even though management of one unit is outsourced.

For purposes of QBI safe harbor, activities conducted by the owner, employees, agents, and independent contracts are all counted towards the 250-hour requirement.  It wouldn't matter if one unit is managed by a property management company but all the other requirements for safe harbor must still be met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

I'd report both on one Sch E so long as your client treats and does manage these as one single enterprise even though management of one unit is outsourced.

For purposes of QBI safe harbor, activities conducted by the owner, employees, agents, and independent contracts are all counted towards the 250-hour requirement.  It wouldn't matter if one unit is managed by a property management company but all the other requirements for safe harbor must still be met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Hard to imagine a scenario where one would qualify and the other would not, unless you are deliberately trying to set that up because one has losses that you wish to exclude?

0 Cheers