Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be too quick to tell your deceased clients they can spend that EIP

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

https://www.yahoo.com/news/treasury-wants-stimulus-payments-dead-010712389.html

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
dkh
Level 15

…….He said the department is checking databases that would help Treasury track payments worth up to $1,200 to individuals, based on their 2018 or 2019 tax returns, but who have died.

I can't imagine that will be a smooth or fair process.   Wonder if that "up to $1200" means only returns for the filing status of Single.  Or will they tell the widow she has to hand over $1200 because President Trump vowed to get it back.  

BobKamman
Level 15

Have you seen the latest version of that letter signed by the President?

P.S.  If you're dead, contact me immediately.

dkh
Level 15

I haven't personally seen the EIP letter.  Rumblings on the internet are it's more a campaign letter than explanation of EIP calculation.     

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

"Don't be too quick to tell your deceased clients they can spend that EIP"

I avoid talking to anybody that is deceased.  😀

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I got the EIP letter, it went directly into the recycle bin.  Sending  a letter out telling you that you've received the money, after youve already received the money, is a waste of paper.

If they were going to send it out weeks prior to getting the money, I could see that being helpful, so youd know what to expect and when, but after the fact seems like a waste of paper.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

It shouldn’t take too many rocket scientists to locate some of those checks anyway.  Anybody with the name Joe Plumber “deceased” should be relatively easy to spot.    Do dead people get a special letter from our president?  “Here is a little gift from me to you to help you start out a new life”?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

FUBAR