Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I use a schedule C to report flight attendants expenses even that they have a W2?

Jose1
Level 1

I need to report flight attendant expenses. Do I use schedule C?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

16 Comments 16
sjrcpa
Level 15

What makes you think these are deductible?

Schedule C is not appropriate.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

These are employees who also get per diem (a type of reimbursement consideration), so which expenses are you trying to include?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

It used to be that only pilots passed around these urban tax legends.  Now it's FA's?  That's what happens when their hours are cut.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds more like form FA-SOL

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

$54 billion in federal welfare payments to the airline industry so they can keep paying pilots, flight attendants and other employees even when no one wants to travel. 

The thanks that taxpayers get?  Flight attendants want to deduct stuff that went away in 2017.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Jose1 

You just started the same issue as a new topic.

You keep asking about what you call "actual expenses."

But unless this person Owns the airline, they seem to be an employee. What are your "Actual Expenses" that you feel should be tax deductible?

Instead of starting fresh again, why not fill in the missing info right here?

Jose1
Level 1

When I said actual expenses I referred to: parking, uniforms,tolls,travel expenses,work-related equipment cost, training

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Categories of Employment

You can deduct unreimbursed employee expenses only if you qualify as an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, a fee-basis state or local government official, or an employee with impairment-related work expenses."

Are you sure the travel costs are not reimbursed by the employer?

Are you sure the parking and tolls are not part of commuting to their place of work?

Was the training cost to get a different job, to get or stay licensed, or to change careers?

Are you up to date on the Regulations that apply, as changed by the Tax Cut and Jobs Act 2017?

Have you done your research at irs.gov?

abctax55
Level 15

@Jose1 

Are you a professional tax preparer?  If so, you need to get up-to-speed with some CPE as employee business expenses went away a while ago.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Jose1
Level 1

Yes I know that form 2106 is not longer use but this new client insisted that where she did her taxes last year, they did a schedule C to deduct the expenses. I told her that is not possible. So I have been asking to prove to her that her expenses are no longer deductible. I appreciate your response. Be safe.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

She's coming to you this year because IRS shut down that place she used last year.  But if you want to be in a business where the customer always gets to make the choice, try selling pizza.  Even then, some places draw the line at anchovies.  

abctax55
Level 15

And you see this on the copy of the prior year return she provided for your review?  You do collect/review at least the prior year return, right?

YOU are the professional.... tell her she's wrong.  And consider disengaging if there's any pushback.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

God forgive me but I cannot believe that question was even asked... just my opinion...

IRonMaN
Level 15

In Jose's defense sometimes clients ask something so bizarre that you have to scratch your head and wonder "did I miss something".  If you work with someone else, it's easy to bounce the question off them just to restore your sanity.  But when you are working by yourself, that someone doesn't exist so you bounce the question somewhere else and this place becomes a big bouncy house.  The way this tax season has gone for most of us, there is no such thing as a stupid question since our brains our only functioning at about 3 percent on some days............................. just my opinion 😉

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"but I cannot believe that question was even asked"

People stand around the campfire and share their tax advice. Most of it is wrong. A lot of it is no longer true, but used to be true.

A lot of it is people thinking their entire personal life is a tax write off.

And there are preparers that will fudge the data like that. It's hard for an honest preparer to convince manipulated clients that something in their name was filed incorrectly, putting them at risk.

Remember: the worst person in class still graduated with the ability to be your doctor, lawyer, or tax preparer. Oh, wait: Preparing taxes for a living is now a DIY job path. Intuit told us this.

PATAX
Level 15

👎 sorry IronMan I cannot agree with you on this one... But I still think that you should be crowned King of Pro Series...🤴