Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to use cloud hosting for clients’ data?

Jiaai
Level 2

Hello,

A salesperson keeps calling me, told me that I have to use cloud hosting for clients’ data, otherwise client's data can be stolen, proseries is not safe.

Is it true or he just wants to charge me ?

Thanks

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

He is looking to meet quota for the month and charge you for something that you don't need.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You do NOT have to use cloud hosting. 

How in the world would some stranger over the phone know whether your computer hard drive is secure or not? 

ProSeries hosting is quite expensive, hes looking to make a sale.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Jiaai
Level 2

Thank you

Jiaai
Level 2

Thank you friend !

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Jiaai wrote:

otherwise client's data can be stolen, proseries is not safe.

No computer is completely safe.  Not even a cloud hosting company.

However, there are many things that can be done to increase safety.  A cloud hosting company has IT-security experts that regularly monitor their computers, implement processes and install programs and/or hardware to increase safety. 

Do you have a IT security expert/company that checks and maintains your computer system and works with you to take precautions to increase safety?

Things like good passwords, Multi-Factor Authentication, anti-virus and firewalls are the first line of defense.  A good IT-security expert will set you up with that, but they also can do much more to decrease the likelihood of problems.

Jiaai
Level 2

I have all those on your list, thank you.