Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to list all the stock transactions for covered stock sales with base reported to the IRS or can I simply list the total of all transcations.

bub
Level 1

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
PATAX
Level 15

I believe there is a location on the worksheet where you can enter the totals. Even if you enter the individual amounts, if you go over 100 transactions, then it may total it anyways, which is what happened with me. But that is just my opinion, you do what you want to do.

IRonMaN
Level 15

PA types 3,000 words a minute so it sounds like he enters the info.  The rest of us that type 3 words or less per minute just enter the totals for covered sales.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

If it's a few transactions I enter them.  If more I enter:  Short-Term Covered Sales, 12/31/21, Various, Total SP and Total Cost Basis.  Same for Long-Term and Short-Term/Long-Term Noncovered Sales.

bub
Level 1

Do you have to show documentation for non covers stock sales or just show the totals?

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

I always attach as a pdf file all the sales if I'm reporting totals.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's already reported to the IRS, why bother attaching a schedule that they already have?

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I attach for every line that says Total Covered Sales or Total Noncovered Sales.  Some people follow my method and some people only attach for Noncovered.  I don't really care how anyone else does it.  It's what I do.

PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN I agree with you Iron Man and I do not attach PDF files of details either. The IRS matches up the totals that they have, with the totals on the returns,  and they only question it if the totals are different, therefore it may not be necessary to attach the detail, my friend and colleague who is a retired IRS agent said the same thing. If the IRS requests the details then one can mail them the paper copies of the details . But if someone does want to attach the PDF file to returns then that is fine also. Just my opinion

Norman2001
Level 7

Read the instructions for Form 8949. 

0 Cheers