Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to file state extension if I file a federal extension?

Good morning, 

I have clients who would like to file a federal extension due to an inadequate federal withholding situation that they need to address. But they are curious if they can go ahead and file their state taxes in the meantime. I'm sure this is a super basic question for many of you, but as my practice grows, I keep running into new territory, lol.  

SEVEN MORE DAYS, just saying. 😉 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

An extension extends filing of the return, not payment of the tax.  If the return is ready to be filed, you could just as well file it.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can extend the federal and file the state, assuming the state return isnt one that requires the federal to be filed before it can be processed

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/state-e-file-methods-stan...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

So, unless you're IL, you can file a state stand-alone return? Just checking I am reading the article correctly? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, looks like youre good to go for filing IL alone.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

You can file the state as long as you are sure the federal issue will not change the state bottom line. Filing state independently may depend on which state. Check the instructions as to whether it requires the federal to be attached.

0 Cheers