Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISTRIBUTIONS OVER BASIS

M PENSKE
Level 1

Hi:

I have a Sub S Client with distributions in excess of Stock basis mainly due to taking Bonus depreciation on several financed Equipment. . I understand that this has to be reported as LT Capital gain right?

If so how would I enter that on from 1120-S

ANOTHER OPTION?

It is possible that this would be offset by income in 2022 so is it advisable to enter it as a Loan to Shareholders for the time being  or an entry on Line 25 Schedule L adj.  to Shareholder equity

Any guidance will be immensely appreciated

Thanks

MP

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

Distributions in excess of basis are reported as a capital gain on the shareholders' returns, not on the 1120S.

Ex-AllStar
M PENSKE
Level 1

Thanks for the response.

I know but I do not prepare the personal returns for the share holders in question

So where on K-1 do I report the amount

MP

abctax55
Level 15

@M PENSKE 

You report the distributions.  They show up on line 16D of the K-1, as well as on the new F 7203

The shareholder is responsible for determining, and reporting, the gain.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
JRC
Level 8

On 1120S you report as a distribution as ABCtax55 said.

You can (Should) include the ShareHolder Stock an Debt Basis Limitation Worksheet with the K-1's to aid the taxpayer in preparing their Individual 1040's.

Form 7203 (NEW for 2021 Individual 1040) is included on the Shareholder Level to file with their returns. This is not attached to the 1120S or part of the Corporate Return.

JRC
Level 8

If you do a Note Receivable instead. Create a formal written Note with interest and have the SH pay it back with their own Moneys within a short period of Time.

Just my Opinion and you didn't hear it from me.

abctax55
Level 15

Thanks @JRC  for clarifying that the F 7203 will be prepared by the individual.

( Generic Comment )"
Pablo
Level 3

Follow up on entering S Corp S/H's distribution in excess of basis on form 1040 as C/G. Grasp everything except where to enter this on 1040. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

F 8949 >Sch D 

So same data entry point as a regular/normal stock sale.  Tag as "not on F1099-B" tho.

(I don't use PS, so can't be more help)

( Generic Comment )"
Pablo
Level 3

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

0 Cheers