Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Extensions - ProSeries Advice Wrong?

msmith7305
Level 7

ProSeries seems to be saying, in the notification posted today, if you are in the disaster areas and your tax return is due June 15th, that if you can't file by then you have to file Form 4868 by May 17th.

I do not believe that to be true. I believe the extension request has to be filed by June 15th to extend the return to October 15th.

What I do think is true is that if you want to e-file the extension, THAT must be done by May 17th as the IRS has not programmed their system to recognize extension requests after May 17th even from a disaster area.

So, a paper Form 4868 would be required.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

👍mssmith.... if you mail those extensions then I would do it via certified mail with return receipt hey... I mailed extensions to IRS this year via that method, the return postcard came back real quick on the one , but I have not received the postcard back on another... You may just want to file all the extensions via electronic before May 17th and if you can finish the return by June 15th then there shouldn't be an issue

msmith7305
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. However, my point is I believe PS has given misleading information.

Preparers will have to decide how they want to handle it.

Biggest issue is how to file an ACCURATE extension request when you have NO info from the clients.

They, rightfully so, believe they have until June 15th to get the info to you for either filing the return or getting an extension.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Can you post what the message says?  The things I have seen don't seem misleading.

BobKamman
Level 15

The message I saw (and ignored because I don't do that anyway) was that you can't schedule a payment with a date after May 17.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

ProSeries is parroting what the IRS said.

Ex-AllStar
msmith7305
Level 7

Here it is

Solved: How do I handle returns impacted by federally decl... - Intuit Accountants Community

"taxpayers residing in federally declared disaster areas who require additional time to file beyond the extended deadline (June 15, 2021), should file a Form 4868 by May 17, 2021 to obtain a filing extension up to October 15, 2021. For both paper and electronic submissions, Form 4868 filing and accompanying payments must be submitted by the May 17, 2021 deadline.  

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Okay, I missed that one.  That is completely wrong.

@IntuitAustin 

0 Cheers