Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct deposit surname maiden name question

PATAX
Level 15

Preparing a return now for a girl who is head of household. She separated and moved out from her husband in the first half of 2021. She uses her married surname. But her maiden name is still registered  with Social Security, so that is the name that I have to file it under, IE she never contacted Social Security to change her surname. She's going to get a refund, and I'm wondering if I do direct deposit, if it will be rejected since her maiden surname will be on the IRS check, and I am assuming her married surname may be on the bank account. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help .

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are dealing with a small hometown bank, check with the bank.  If not, play it safe and have them mail a check.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are dealing with a small hometown bank, check with the bank.  If not, play it safe and have them mail a check.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

There's not always consistency among banks on this stuff.  The IRS doesn't care.  Ask the client what she wants to do, I'm not afraid to run with scissors on this one.  Either it will work fine (probably 95% of the time) or the bank will reject it and then the IRS will reissue the refund in the form of a check mailed to last known address.  So maybe the check gets delayed a bit if the bank rejects it.  If that's a deal-breaker she should go the check route (or open a new bank account with the matching name on it.)

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Inquiring minds want to know (after opening a couple of new accounts in the last few years) how in the world someone was able to open a bank account in the US with the wrong last name that did not match their SS Card? Seems Like I had to produce enough ID to make mine bounce if I tried that.

PATAX
Level 15

Thanks Iron Man.

PATAX
Level 15

Jeff, I'm assuming that her married surname is on the bank account, but she did not give me a voided check to do direct deposit. Therefore I'm assuming she wants a check mailed to her. But if the check has her maiden surname on it, and if her bank account has her married surname on it, then that is why I was asking if we should do direct deposit. I called her earlier but she has still not called back.